Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 lookin for that new gun >

lookin for that new gun

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

lookin for that new gun

Old 11-30-2004, 09:24 AM

Default lookin for that new gun

I've all but given up looking for a decently priced rifle with a straight pull bolt like the new blasers. I've been considereing the browing a-bolt, a reimngton 700, a winchester 70, and all the other common rifles. Please advise. I've (and brother and father) have always shot remingtons but i kinda want to try something new. I was looking probably at a 270. I am very open to all ideas and nearly any brands. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:15 AM

Default RE: lookin for that new gun

If I were buying new I would get a Steyr SBS Pro Hunter in a 25-06 with a Zeiss Diavari VM/V 3 X 12 X 56 ! But that's just me !
Old 11-30-2004, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger or Tikka....i am partial to the Ruger All Weather.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:00 PM

Well, you certainly have a lot of choices when it comes to rifles chambered in 270Win.
For me, the choice would come down to two:

Remington 700 LSS Mountain rifle - stainless steel barrel & action with laminated stock.

Winchester 70 Classic Featherweight - blued with walnut stock.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:17 PM

thanks for comments, after a bit of research i've began to like the tikka hunter in probably a .243. Does any one out there own a tikka, if so what are the goods and the bads?
Old 11-30-2004, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

The most notable good points to the Tikka's is their high quality for a reasonable price, and great accuracy guarantee (1" 5-shot group at 100 yards w/ premium ammo, and a shot target to prove it.) The bad point is that the Tikka action is one-size-fits-all (like a lot of lingerie....oh, OK, maybe not, but...!). Tikka changes the bolt stop to alter bolt throw to the appropriate amount for the cartridge the rifle is chambered for, but the overall length of the action is the same for a .243 as it is for a 7mm Mag.

Tikka's seem to be great guns if you can get by the action length issue. Tikka is definately high on my list of preferred rifles, but for my last rifle I opted for the Tikka's big brother instead and went with a Sako 75 because the price was right.

Mike
Old 12-01-2004, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with driftrider. I was also looking for a new rifle with the synthetic stock and s/s barrel. I also didn’t like the one action fits all on the Tikka with the plastic clips. I had looked at most brand and found the Sako 75 to have the best synthetic stock. I was also looking for the 270 Win. but after reading up on the 270 WSM decided to go that way instead. You did say that you’re open to all ideas so take a look at the Sako rifles. Good Luck...
Old 12-01-2004, 11:23 AM

Thanks for all the info. I talked to a couple of friends and heard a lot of good about the browning a-bolt. Curiously, i did a bit of local research and found out that my boss has browning a-bolt in .270. he offered to let me shoot it. I bought a box of remington 130 soft points (which is what he shoots through it) and went to town. After shooting about half the box, i think i am sold. I shot two five shot groups and both were well under an inch. Something that i really liked about it is that it had a small amount of felt recoil, even though i thought the rifle was a little on the light side. Now that i have decided the rifle to go with, i have to consider the scope. I am strongly considering a leupold VXIII in 3.5-10x50 or 3.5-10x40. If any one has comment about the scopes, i am pretty open to any ideas. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:45 PM

Why not just stick with the remingtons. Their a fine rifle
Old 12-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

I love brownings there great guns and have a smooth and shot throw bolt. if you want you can even send away the bolt and get your named engraved in it. The only problem with browning is customer service, it takes months to get your gun, if you have to order it. It took me sloes to 5 moths to get my BPS because they make one or two large shipments a year and that all. But it was well worth the wait.

Quick Reply: lookin for that new gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.