Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Banner or 8-point

Old 11-05-2004, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default Banner or 8-point

My choise is between a bushnell banner 4-12x40 or a simmons 8point 4-12x40 what one would you buy and why?

Its just going to be on a 17hmr for shooting gophers, so Im not going to spend more then $150
Old 11-05-2004, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Banner or 8-point

I have an 8 point (3-9x) and am very unimpressed. Banner is a lower end Bushnell, which I have not had experience with, but have read reviews about. From what I gather, it is much better. In fact, from what I have been reading, if you're determined to buy a budget scope, the Bushnell line is about as good as you can expect to get.

Of course the overriding advice from most scope users is to save up and buy quality. You won't regret it.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

why didnt you like the 8-point ?
Old 11-06-2004, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: gopher slayer

why didnt you like the 8-point ?

I have mine in my NEF .223. It's still a relatively new gun, so it's only been at the range a few times, and I'm still working on sighting it in.

The problem last time was that after 50 rounds, I still didn't have it sighted in.

I would shoot, say a couple inche left, adjust the scope the appropriate number of clicks, and the next shot would touch the first. That says great things about the gun, but bad things about the scope. More clicks, shot in same place. More clicks and Boom! Several inches to the right!

It was later that I found out what was wrong: cross hairs were sticking when I turned the screws, then snapping into place after more than enough clicks. It's been suggested that next time I make an adjustment, then tap in the screws with my pocket knife. This vibration should force the cross hairs to click into place. This type of (lack of) performance is to be expected with a budget scope, I know, so I'm not complaining. And, once sighted in, I'm not going to fiddle with it again. Still, I'm saving my pennies to buy a higher end varmint scope -- probably from the Bushnell Elite line.

I'm going out tomorrow to work on my muzzle loader, but I'm bringing the .223 too. I'll let you know if I'm able to make any progress.

Oh, another thing. The eye relief is under 3 inches. OK for a low recoil gun, but this would knock me out if it were on my muzzle loader![8D]
Old 11-06-2004, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have never had a 8 point. I have had good service from the Pro-Hunter. Great service from the Banner line of scopes. I had the same 4x12x40 Banner and a 3x9x50 banner. Both worked very well one on a 22-250 and the other on an NEF 223.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I went to the range today, and the 8 Point on my .223 worked just fine. No problems at all!
Old 11-07-2004, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for the report
Old 11-11-2004, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go with the Banner
Old 11-11-2004, 02:42 PM

I'd go with less power and get a better scope. For that kind of money you could also look at some of the better simmons scopes, or a BSA target scope. Or the BSA sweet 17 that is made for the 17hmr. But seriously, I would look at getting a 3x9 with better optics instead of a cheap 4x12, your eyes will thank you for it.

Paul
Old 11-11-2004, 03:01 PM

Well . . . I could tell you to buy a used Leupold . . . somebody always does that

Anyway, the Banner is a good scope for the money, but I would spend just a little more and get a Trophy - usually a little less than $100 - and the Trophy is a fine scope.

Think you need to step up to a Simmons Mag 44 or Aetec to get something really good from Simmons.

Quick Reply: Banner or 8-point

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.