Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Elk gun

Old 10-11-2004, 12:06 PM
CD
Spike

Default Elk gun

Looking at going elk hunting next year. At the present I have a 270 winchester. Thinking about getting a new gun (can always use another). I'm not recoil shy, but don't want to be pounded while shooting to get familer with the gun either.Any sugestions,Thanks
Old 10-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk gun

CD,
I would look at the 300 Win Short,300 Win Mag,or .338 Win mag.These guns do have some kick to them but not as bad as one would think.I would stay away from the Ultra Mags they kick more and are a little much for some.
I like mine but to put 10-15 rounds thru it tend to get my shoulder sore.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

I just bought a remington ADL 300 win mag and put one of those limbsaver butt pads on it. It sure worked. I shot a box of shells yesterday siteing it in and shoulder feels fine. all id had ever shot was my 270.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

a 7mm mag or a 300win mag would do good. if you go browing you could always get a boss if the recoil was to much.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

After I got a bum shoulder, I made a recoil pad just to use at the range. I just took a piece of denim and made a pocket and left the top open. I put a piece of soft foam rubber inside along with a piece of stiff indoor outdoor carpet. When I am shooting at the range off the bench in warm weather with just a T shirt on, the pad soaks up every bit of the pain part. While hunting with my hunting jacket or something heavy then the recoil does not bother me at all. The pad isn't thick enough to bother the eye relief or position of the gun off the bench. I like to think I am a bit smarter than that junk of wood that bangs the hell out of my shoulder. It might not look macho but it feels darn good. If you shoot well then your 270 is plenty of gun for Moose and elk. However there is nothing wrong with a new rifle either. Now if I can convince my wife of that I am in clover
Old 10-11-2004, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

Just a different thought------I would use the 270 & take the money & buy a GOOD pair of binoculars. Like a pair of Swarovski, Leica or Ziess.

Your 270 will take any elk. The binoculars will last forever & are a HUGE advantage in glassing elk country. Not to mention all your future hunts. Cost about the same when you add in the cost of the rifle, scope & mounts.

But IMO the classic elk cartridge is the 300 Win Mag. But with that said I've used the 30/06 for over 20 years & never had a problem. I'm also sure I could have subed the 270 & been completely satisfied.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just a different thought------I would use the 270 & take the money & buy a GOOD pair of binoculars. Like a pair of Swarovski, Leica or Ziess.
Colorado Bob I like the way you think. I have killed elk in the past with my 270-winchester. My "go-to" gun for elk hunting today is a 300-win mag.
With all of the quality bullets on the market today, the 270-winchester will work as an elk rifle. If I were going on a one time elk hunt I would use the 270 & quality bullets.

Good luck,

WK
Old 10-11-2004, 10:18 PM

I agree , take your .270 Winchester. It WILL kill elk. But hey a reason for a new gun is always good
Old 10-12-2004, 01:14 PM

ORIGINAL: James B

After I got a bum shoulder, I made a recoil pad just to use at the range. ...
good post on add-on recoil pad. I also made an add on recoil pad - not as nice as this one, but it worked OK. I did it just because I didn't want to train myself to flinch.

I just use a piece of pipe insulation. The tubular foam insulation (usually dark gray or black) that is split lengthwise to fit over water pipes. Comes in various inside diameters (I use the widest), and the foam is about 1 inch thick. Just cut a length of this to fit over the butt of your gun. The lengthwise split allows you to fit it over the butt and it just stays in place. This works OK for firing at the range but would not stay in place in the field. Unless you added the elegant touch of ..... duct tape!
Old 10-12-2004, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

Just use a good premium bullet and your 270 will work just fine. A really good set of binoculars or a really nice scope are a much better use of your money than a new gun in this situation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.