Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Tikka or Ruger M77

Old 10-04-2004, 03:40 PM

Default RE: Tikka or Ruger M77

i will be using it for deer and coyote.....
Old 10-04-2004, 07:21 PM

I think you'll find the Tikka to be more accurate and better made. I've owned a truck load of Rugers over the years. Some were accurate, some were just "o.k.". Although I've only owned 8 or 10 Tikkas over the years, they were all accurate. I currently have four Tikka Whitetail Hunters and all of them are very accurate. I've also found Tikkas quality control to be miles ahead of Ruger.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own a Ruger Model 77 MkII in 7mm mag. I also own a Tikka t-3 in 25-06. If I ever add another rifle to my collection it will be another Tikka.

The Ruger I own is a beautiful gun and very solidly made. Fit and finish are good. I love the Mauser type bolt action on it. BUT, it has the worst factory trigger of any rifle I have ever seen. I swear to God it feels like a ten pound pull. It also cannot be adjusted to the best of my knowledge. I also have never got this gun to shoot better than a 2 1/2 inch group at 100 yards with any factory ammo.

The Tikka on the other hand has the best factory trigger I have ever seen. It can be adjusted down to 2 lb's in a matter of minutes if you desire. No trips to the gunsmith, it's so simple a child could do it. The barrel is made in the same factory by the same people who make the barrels for Sako rifles. I have already found 3 different types of factory ammo that my Tikka will shoot sub 1 inch groups with. With 117 gr hornady bullets I can shoot groups you can cover with a dime. The bolt action is one of the slickest I've ever seen. It's light weight and comes fitted with a good rubber recoil pad. Yeah it has a polymer clip and trigger guard but I have had no problems with them and they seem quite sturdy. Unless you plan to hold your rifle by the barrel and beat deer to death with the buttstock I can't ever imagine this being an issue.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

It also cannot be adjusted to the best of my knowledge.
Yes, it can. I have done several.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a ruger m-77 mkII in a .220 swift that will shoot a ragged hole at 100 yards with factory ammo . If i can do my job it is still very good at 400 yards. It is the best varmit rifle I have ever shot. I have no experince with a tikka.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, it can. I have done several.
Yes but can it be done without gunsmithing? Of course any gun can be taken to a gunsmith for a trigger job. The Tikka trigger can be adjusted by anyone with the simple turn of a screw.

It is the best varmit rifle I have ever shot.
Are you talking about the standard Ruger M-77 MKII or the more expensive varmit model with a bull barrel? Because I am not alone in my experiences with Ruger rifles level of accuracy. (Or lack of it would perhaps be a better way of saying it.) All the local gun enthusiasts I know and shoot with would sooner buy a standard cheap Savage or Howa rifle than a standard Ruger if their goal was to get a good shooting rifle straight out of the box. If you are going to do a lot of after market work on it (Trigger job, bedding, custom barrel) then thats different of course.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:13 PM

My Ruger M 77 is a 25-06 with walnut stock & blued barrel bought 23 years ago. Over the years I have found only one factory load that fired over 2" at 100 yards. It was an old box of Imperials that are no longer made. About half of the others I could keep under 1" at 100 yards. Maybe I just got lucky and got a accurite one because I can't complain about my rifles groupings.

Best Wishes
Old 10-05-2004, 03:57 PM

ok be it there is only one hole in it but i swear that my m-77 in .243 will shoot inch at 100 yards with win. slivertips in 95 grain all day.

Old 10-06-2004, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Todd1700 ,Yes it is the varmit model , I have to tell you I did have the trigger smithed to 2lbs . but that is it.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Much as I like the rugers, I hate the shiney chrome like stainless of the all weather versions. I would buy the Tikka because of this. It will also be a better shooter gauranteed and has a clip which I like.

Quick Reply: Tikka or Ruger M77

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.