Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

22 Plinkers

Old 07-16-2004, 07:43 PM

Default 22 Plinkers

I recently ordered a Walther P22 pistol to play around with while in the woods. Does anyone have any experience with this type of pistol? I don't expect much as it's only a 22 but the rounds are cheap and it should be fun to plink at squirrels and the occassional snake. Thanks for the input. Gary
Old 07-17-2004, 07:06 AM

Default RE: 22 Plinkers

Is it to late to cancel your order? The P22 is a cool looking gun, but have you ever actually held one? First, these guns are notorious for jamming, especially with cheap low velocity ammo. Second, if the gun is not literaly brand new in the country, chances are you will have to send the slide back to the manufacturer for a factory recall of the slide stop. I belive they need to do some machine work to it. The P22 also has an extremely small grip. This is fine for smaller framed shooters, like women and youngsters, but with a name like Gary10ec1, I'm guessing your not a lady. They come with two mags, and for some reason un-beknownst to me, each one has a different base. One to fit slightly larger hands, and one for smaller hands. (?) Me suggestion would be to purchase a Ruger auto-loader instead. Thier not quite as cool looking, but far more reliable. Sorry for the bad news.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 22 Plinkers

I have to agree the Walther is SMALL for me .The RUGER mkII or 22 /45 are great guns I have 3 .One to plink with one to shoot match pistol with and a 10" mkII with a scope for squirel / ground hog hunting that out shoots most rifles at the club. If you get a Ruger 22lr pistol or rifle the INSIDE of the barrel NEVER needs to be cleaned ,I know what you have been told about keeping the gun clean ,the rest of the gun inside and out yes. If you leave the barrel "dirty" it will shoot smaller groups and not hurt reliablity ,my match gun has had 100-200 rounds per week for the last 22 years and still shooting great groups.