Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 taurus raging bull .454 >

taurus raging bull .454

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

taurus raging bull .454

Old 06-12-2004, 05:28 AM

Default taurus raging bull .454

recently bought a new .454 raging bull.........topped it off with red dot scope........shot it last week for the first time.......was surprised at how well the recoil was tamed by this design.......haven't worked it up for accuracy yet.........but expect it should pleasantly suprise me in that area.........i've also got a S&W 500 on back order, hope to have it in hand soon......i will compare the two for accuracy, recoil, shootability, etc.........
Old 06-13-2004, 12:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: taurus raging bull .454

I recently bought a Ruger SRH in .454 Casull (7.5"), and I'd be curious to shoot a Raging Bull to compare the recoil of the ported vs. non-ported bbl.

The Taurus' look like decent guns, but I personally don't think that they are built nearly as tough as the SRH, and they cost more to boot, so I went with the Ruger. I've actually thought about having my SRH ported, but it's not high on my list of "Must Haves" as the recoil isn't that bad. I did buy a shooting glove both to distribute and absorb some of the recoil, but mostly because the backstrap nails the webbing of my hand just the wrong way which is painful, but the shooting glove prevents that from happening.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:11 AM

i've been shooting my raging bull quite a lot and have been having loads of fun.......looking forward to the hunting seasons......to see how it performs in the field........

Old 06-17-2004, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think it is one of the meanest looking revolvers I have ever seen that is for sure. No experience with that brand though but some experience with Rugers and S&W's. Good Luck with it
Old 06-17-2004, 04:51 PM

What does a guy have to suspect to have to payto get a set up like you got?
Old 06-17-2004, 11:06 PM

about $1,000.00
Old 06-29-2004, 07:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

don't know how true it is but I've had at least 2 different gun dealers tell me the 500 S&W's felt recoil is less than the 454's. Has anyone shot both and agree or disagree?
Old 06-29-2004, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

don't know how true it is but I've had at least 2 different gun dealers tell me the 500 S&W's felt recoil is less than the 454's. Has anyone shot both and agree or disagree?
Yes...no...maybe. When comparing recoil it's critical to compare apples to apples, and even then there are a lot of subjective points to consider.

I've fired many rounds with my Ruger SRH .454 Casull, and a couple weekends ago I had the opportunity to shoot several rounds through several of the various S&W Model 500's, and I'd say that my perception of relative recoil depends alot on which gun you're shooting and the load.

For instance, my RSRH (7.5" bbl, no brake) shooting 300gr loads is one heck of a handful compared to the 6.5" M500 Performance Center revolver with 325gr factory loads. The Performance Center barrel has a very efficient brake and tames it down a lot, and the pistol still has some mass to it. With the 440gr Corbon loads this same 6.5" M500 womps you a LOT harder than the Casull, and on top of that the muzzle blast sounds and feels like a 155mm Howitzer.

Comparing my RSRH to the 4.5" M500 with standard brake, well, there is no comparison. 325 or 440gr loads from the M500 both rock your world a lot harder than even the hottest .454 Casull loads I've shot, both in the felt recoil and muzzleblast department. I was wearing 33dB muffs and that damn thing still rang my ears. S&W touts the 4.5" M500 as the ultimate bear country defense gun, but I'll tell you one thing is sure. IF, and that's a big if, you hit the bear even halfway decently with that thing you'll drop it like a bad habit...the bad news is that you might spent the rest of your life responding to others with "WHAT?"

I also shot the 10" Performance Center M500, and it was a ***** cat relative to the top end .454 loads, but still kicked a bit harder than the lighter 240-250gr .454 Casull loads. Of course, the gu weighed like 6 stinkin' pounds, with all of it toward the muzzle, which helped a lot.

I will say this seriously, though. The M500 DEFINATELY has better stock grips than the Ruger SRH. The M500 grips cover the backstrap completely with rubber, which really helps reduce the punishment suffered by the web of ones hand. The SRH's grips don't completely cover the area and with hard kicking loads that backstrap can come back and bite you good. The M500 also benefits a great deal from the brake, perticularly in the muzzle flip department. My Ruger's muzzle comes up with authority, where the M500's muzzle kicks more straight back. I would DEFINATELY NOT want to shoot the M500 without the brake installed, especially with 400gr+ bullets at near max loads. I can say for sure it'd be a real butt kicker without it.

Overall, I was very impressed with the quality and shootability of the M500, but my .454 Casull will do everything the 500 S&W will do, in a gun that costs $200+ less. 500S&W factory ammo is also VERY EXPENSIVE, even compared to .454 Casull, so if you don't handload you're going to probably spend more in the first year on ammo than you did on the gun if you shoot it enough to get proficient with it (just because it may feel a bit less than the 454 in the recoil dept with certain variants and loads, that doesn't make it a lightweight by any means. This is a gun that will take almost anyone a lot of range time to master). I also like the ability to shoot .45 Colt in my gun if I'm not feeling masochistic when I go to the range!

Bottom line, the 500 S&W is a bruiser, and so is the .454 Casull. Get the one that you like the best and/or you can afford. Both the Ruger SRH and the S&W M500 are great guns, with a small nod to the M500 in the quality and fit department, and both will serve any hunter well. I just personally can't afford the cost of the gun, and IMO the features the S&W has over the Ruger are too small to justify over $200 bucks more money. For $200 I can buy an set of Pachmeyr grips, holster, loading dies and components to load the first batch of 454 ammo. Both will kill anything just as dead, and both will do the job humanely to any reasonable pistol range.

Which you choose is up to you...

Mike
Old 08-31-2004, 06:40 AM

i've had a S&W 500 on back order for a few months.......it's finally on its way......should be to my local gunshop tomorrow......looking forward to making the comparison myself......the .454 has been loads of fun to shoot.......i'm certain i'll use the .454 to hunt deer this fall.......
Old 08-31-2004, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

The taurus raging bull is a junk gun, infact anything taurus makes is junk. I wouldnt own a taurus even if it was given to me for free. A buddy of mine bought POS raging bull 454 he couldnt keep a group for nothing with it turned out the bullets were bouncing off the forcing cone , the cylinder was off about a .05 of an inch. he sent it back to taurus when the gun came back its still was doing it so he sold it . I told him thats what you get for buying 3rd world junk.

you want a good gun get a ruger or a smith&wesson

Quick Reply: taurus raging bull .454

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.