Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

weatherby vandguard

Old 04-18-2004, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default weatherby vandguard

i was thinking of buying a weatherby vandguard in 30-06 has anyone had any problems with this gun (jams, bad shot groups, etc)
Old 04-18-2004, 06:24 PM

Default RE: weatherby vandguard

The Weatherby Vanguard is a fine rifle. I especially like their new stock they have. They used to be made by Howa. I don't know who makes them now since Howa now markets it under their own name. But they've got to a stock on the Vanguard that looks a lot like the Mark V stock with the high cheek piece.

You can always get a lemon, but most people that own their Weatherbys are very happy with them.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Still made by Howa.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Howa still makes the vanguard as well as marketing the rifle under the Howa name.Howa has also previously built the same rifle for smith&wesson and mossberg.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Smith & Wesson model 1500. This is the same rifle as the Vanguard. The Vanguard is produced by Howa of Japan. The Vanguard is a fine rifle. The local Wal Mart has the vanguard blue/synthetic for $388. This is a good rifle for this price.

Back to my rifle. It's a 25-06. When I received the rifle as a gift I bought one box of Winchester Supreme 115 gr. BST's. This rifle out of the box would shoot 7/8" 3 shot groups. Using the same bullet and RL19 this gun will shoot 1/2" 3 shot groups. The only modification I made was to adjust the trigger. Also, mine has a fancy wood stock that I don't think is available on the Vanguard anymore. Needless to say I think at this time I would definately choose the Vanguard over the Remington 700 ADL synthetic.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Speaking of which I was at the range on Saturday with my 1500 varminter, this guy was busting my chops about shooting a Japanese made gun. When I told him it was the same gun that was sold by S&W and Mossberg as well as Weatherby he shut up and not another word.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

I have not hered anything bad about the Vanguard but if I was going to get a Weatherby it would be a Mark V and if I couldn't afford a Mark V I would get a Ruger 77. I am very happy with all 5 of my Ruger firearms.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

For the money I have heard that the vangaurd is a great gun!
Old 05-03-2004, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

I have the new weatherby vanguard deluxe .300 wby mag with the walnut stock. The deluxe is only offered in the 300 with the wood. Dang good shooting rifle i just put a new vx-III on it an its like a dream. dead on at 300
Old 05-10-2004, 12:27 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a vanguard in 300 wby. Its the synthetic. I love it. Id say for the price, the Rem. 700 or the vanguard are both two of the best out of the box for accuracy at their respective price range.

Quick Reply: weatherby vandguard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.