Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger 44 Carbines

Old 03-11-2004, 08:28 PM

Default Ruger 44 Carbines

Guys, I need some help and opinions on the Ruger Deerfield and the M96 lever action
carbine, both in 44 MAG. These little guns look very handy and very nice, I just wish that
they had a bigger magazine capacity. I don't know whether I would want one of these or not,
although they look very tempting. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 03-12-2004, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ruger 44 Carbines

I don't have any problem buying Rugers at all but I would stay away from those 2. If you want a really compact carbine buy the deerstalker(discontinued) find a 1960's model with the machined reciever and there is a great little deer rifle.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:25 AM

Hi Georgian,

I'm not sure if there have been any problems with either of those models, (maybe oldelkhunter has had, or heard of bad experiences?), but my brother has had a model 96 since the second year they were out. He has never had any problem with it, at all.....and you'd have to pry it out of his son's hands. For all intents and purposes, my nephew is the new owner.....and he'll tell you so!

They've taken five or six deer with it already, it shoots well, (good consistent groups at 100 yards....they mounted a fixed 2 1/2 power scope), and he has never had a malfunction of any sort! They put several hundred rounds per year through it, on average.

I wouldn't have trouble recommending it, in my experience!

Dave
Old 03-12-2004, 07:00 AM

I have one of the old Deer Stalker carbines and love it, this was my deer gun for a couple of years, unfortunatly my dad cut the stock down to fit me better as a young lad which was great at the time but now its kinda short.

I have been having some trouble getting handloads to function properlly. I think this is an operator error and not a malfunction on the rifle itself, dont use it much anymore, I'll take it out to the range and pop a few rounds through it once in awhile just to shoot something diffrent.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

AKbound...its not the reliability of these 2 guns..they are after all Rugers and they all work well. Its just maybe the handguard on the deerfield and the way the action looks with that exposed clip(too militaristic) and I just plain like the old deerstalkers better. If they put a better grade of wood on the 96 I would be more interested in it also .
Old 03-12-2004, 11:04 AM

Hi oldelkhunter,

I'll give you that......it is pretty plain looking! I suspect they did the handguard that way because it is in vogue with today's buyers. And I suppose it dissipates heat (their explanation...I'm sure).

Dave
Old 03-12-2004, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

Georgian, I just sold a Winchester Model 94AE (44 Mag.) and purchased a Deerfield for my son to shoot because he like my 10/22 so much and it is identical to it. We went to the shooting range and put 50 rounds throuh it. He shot the gun 10 times better than he shot the Winchester (I moved the scope from the Win. to the Ruger). I was very impressed and so was he!! We now have a new favorite gun. Only problem now is when he hunts with me I will have to give it up to him. The gun performed with cheap ammo as well as the Winchester with premium ammo. The 4 round clip is all you need to shoot deer with. The gun action reminded me of the M1 carbines I use to own. I loved their light weight and ruggedness but the caliber was to small for hunting.
The gun weight is light (6 3/4lbs.) and the barrel does not heat up as much as I thought. The gun is a little pricey ($485), but it comes with scope rings mounted. The gun was worth every bit what I paid for it.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:29 PM

Thanks for all the replys yall. Which is the best btw. the 96 and Deerfield?
I like em both, but I just can't choose which one.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:47 PM

Hi Georgian,

It's probably going to come down to your preference! They both are pretty nice and serve the same function. In Pennsylvania semi-auto's are illegal for hunting.......so the levers (and pumps) are much more popular here.

Either way I think you'll be happy!

Dave
Old 03-12-2004, 04:55 PM

Thanks akbound. I think I like the lever gun better. I don't know bout
our regelations much in Georgia, but I know lever gun are accepted.
I could also live to deal with the 4 round mag, just load a round into
the chamber before I put the mag in, and you have five quick shots
ready. Both of the Ruger carbines look right dandy, and mighty handy,hehe
maybe I should become a poet instead of a gun enthusiast............Na, guns
have more of a draw than writin words, lol Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Ruger 44 Carbines

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.