Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 BAR w/ 3-9x50 VXII question >

BAR w/ 3-9x50 VXII question

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

BAR w/ 3-9x50 VXII question

Old 03-08-2004, 10:21 PM

Default BAR w/ 3-9x50 VXII question

Have Browning 30 06 BAR w/BOSS. Waiting for my Leupold VX-II 3-9-50 scope to be delivered. Want standard 1 piece mount w / standard rings. Leupold recommends 1" high extension rings for this scope but on the 40mm reticle they call for low. What makes that much difference ? Since the rifle has no sights, do I need high extension rings or will 1" high be okay. Need some info if possible here.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:48 AM

Default RE: BAR w/ 3-9x50 VXII question

Hi cheeta264,

You may well need to use the "high" rings. Your scope has a 50mm front objective bell, (the diameter of the front lens). Typically, the bigger a scope is physically, (talking about the size of the scope itself......not its power rating), the higher it will need to be mounted above the bore! Of course by design and nature......usually the higher powered scopes....also are physically larger. (But not always!) I have a feeling if Leupold recommends them.....they are necessary.

Because your rifle does not have sights that won't be an issue. But often times on rifles with iron sights a large scope will necessitate the removal of the rear sight in order to properly mount the scope. And some people find when they look through their scope they can see the front sight....and it is distracting for them. (Personally, I have never found it to be distracting to me.) But both are a non-issue for you on this rifle.

Good luck on that scope mounting project! Let us know how everything performs when you get it all together. I'm looking forward to hearing how your new BAR shoots!

Dave
Old 03-16-2004, 07:21 AM

I have a BAR with a 50mm scope on it. I use Leupold mounts and rings and had to use the high rings to get the clearance required. Follow the manufacturers recommendation and you will be alright.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

With a 50mm scope you'll have to use High Rings. If they recommend the extended rings I would suggest getting them.I've had to use extended rings a few times to get the scope mounted correctly. If I remember correctly the BAR's were the ones which needed the extended rings.I use Redfield Bases and Rings as a rule.

Ruger Redhawk.