Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

[Deleted]

Old 02-16-2004, 05:20 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-16-2004, 08:55 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-19-2004, 11:20 AM

Default RE: Ruger model 96

Hi VDOT,

My brother bought one after I suggested he look at it. He uses it some for whitetail.....but the last two years he hasn't been able to get it back from his 13 year old. My nephew has used it to take his first two deer...and absolutely loves it. It's a good whitetail carbine over much of the terrain we hunt. My brother put a 2 1/2 fixed power scope on it because the single sighting plane is easier for inexperienced shooters. Also better for low light conditions. (Though he started all of his kids on open and peep sighted .22's.)

It's a great little rifle....perfect for whitetail over much of their habitat!

Dave
Old 02-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

VDOT, I just purchased a 99/44 Ruger carbine for my 11 year old this week. I pur a Burris scope on top of it. I have not shot it yet but it looks and feels almost identical to my 10/22 (It is about 1 -2 lbs heavier but I expected that). If I shoots half as good as my 10/22 with iron sites then this gun should make my son and me very happy. The 10/22 is my most favorite gun I have ever owned (I have owned 25 or so guns).
Ruger doe a fine job on their carbine guns.
Is the 96 series a semi or a lever?
Old 02-19-2004, 01:57 PM

Hi LAbushman,

The Ruger 96 is their little lever action carbine. It has most of the same qualities of their semi-auto .44 Magnum. Except for the lever......they are very similar! Both make fine whitetail carbines in much of the terrain they are hunted in.

The lever is much more popular in Pennsylvania because it is against the law to use a semi-auto rifle or pistol for hunting. (Pennsylvania has some strange laws?!?!) Some will try to argue that it's good that semi-autos are not legal in Pennsylvania because it would lead to "shoot and spray" (or should I say shoot and pray) volleys in the woods. And to them I'd respond........."beans!" If they think it would really make a difference they aren't hunting in the same woods I've hunted in. We still have "hunters" (I use that term very loosely) that fill the woods with volley fire every year. A pump can be fired all but as fast as an auto...and a lever ain't much behind. (And to them I'd also respond....it's not the rifle......stupid......it's the nut behind the rifle!)

Sorry about that little tirade.......I just figured I'd beat them to the punch this time. But anyhow.....that's why semi-autos aren't popular in Pennsylvania. You can't legally use them for hunting!

But the Ruger semi-auto .44 carbine is a great gun.......and it'd be hard to find a better one to start a young hunter with. Wish you and your youngster both lots of luck with your new Ruger!

Dave
Old 02-19-2004, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

That is a strange law. The Ruger semi only holds 4 bullets. How do you spray with four bullets and a scope? I looked at the Ruger lever action (I never knew the model number) but decided to get the semi because it is similiar to the gun my child shoots now. I just sold a Winchester 94AE chambered in a 44 Mag. The gun had to many things to operate for my child, the trigger was terrible, and it was a nightmare getting bullets in and out of it. The Ruger lever action does not appear to have these problems. It does not look or feel like a typical lever action.
Good luck.