Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 BOUGHT NEW SHOTGUN. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE CHOICE? >

BOUGHT NEW SHOTGUN. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE CHOICE?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

BOUGHT NEW SHOTGUN. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE CHOICE?

Old 02-15-2004, 12:32 PM

Default BOUGHT NEW SHOTGUN. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE CHOICE?

I am new to shotgunning. I have had two shotguns in my lifetime. I had a .410 that my dad got me when I was young and still have put away till my 3 year old boy gets ready. I had a 12 ga. Eastfield model 916 that Dad got me for my 13th birthday. No longer have it.
Well I wanted to get a new shotgun for all around shooting and shotgunning and to use for Turkey hunting. Not primarily a Turkey gun, but one I could use. I wanted it to be accurate and hold tight patterns. Being new to shotguns I did not have any experience to draw from. I went to my dealer and looked used. He had 1 870 Rem express in 12 ga. with 28 inch barrel. The receiver and barrel looked good but the stock and forearm was wore pretty good. It would have to be redone on the wood to look good. He had 1 Winchester 1300 12 ga. with 28 inch barrel. It was the Ranger model. The wood looked good on it, but the receiver and barrel was rusted. Not completely but a considerable amount. He said you could get it off with oil and steel wool but to keep it off you would have to re blue it. And he had 1 Mossberg model 835 ulti-mag 12 ga. with 28 inch barrel and the barrel was ported and overbored, whatever that means. It looked brand new. If you held it beside a new one you could not tell it apart. Even the ejection port metal that is silver was still brightly polished and silver with no spotting. It has the Accu-Mag choke.
The Remington was 219.00 The Winchester was 175.00 and the Mossberg was 199.00. Of course that was priced to me. The tickets were more. Anyways I choose the Mossberg. It had the ventilated rib also and he said the ported barrel would cut down on recoil. Do you think I made a wise choice based on the 3 shotguns? Again I have no shotgun experience.
Also, what is the Accu-Mag choke? Is it full or what? Would it be fine for Turkey hunting? Thanks
Whitey
Old 02-15-2004, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BOUGHT NEW SHOTGUN. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE CHOICE?

well i have the remington 870 and love it. my dad has had problems with his mossberg 500 with the the chamber not closing and the safety jamming.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:28 PM

Huntsalotey, you did good. The Mossberg will give you many years of fine service. "Overbored" means the bore of the gun is larger. The 835 Ulti-mag is overbored meaning it is larger than standard 12 gauge bore. It's actually the same size as a 10 gauge. You'll have fewer pellet deformation and flyers out of the pattern with this set-up. 835's pattern really well do to this. You can use your new shotgun for many things. Just pick the right load for the intended use. 2 3/4" light loads for small game and shooting clays, 3" and 3 1/2" magnums for waterfowl and turkey. Have fun and just go shoot. One word of caution. The ported barrel is going to cause an increase the amount of sound your ears receive. Wear good hearing protection when warranted.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:59 PM

Have had several Mossberg shotguns over the years and have never had any problems. I now have several other brands that are much more expensive but have yet to see that they really do anything different. My only gripe with the Mossberg has been weight but I knew that going in, as far as performance they are just fine. Gary
Old 02-16-2004, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

GREAT CHOICE, I ALSO HAVE SAME SHOTGUN
Old 02-21-2004, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Mossberg 835 with a Hastings extended choke tube for turkeys. It really reachs out there. You did OK.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:06 PM

Its a great gun. The biggest problem i have with mine is getting it in and out of my cabnit. The muzzle keeps nicking the top of my cabnit.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:31 AM

Great choice. I too have had several Mossbregs, and currently have two 500's. Never, ever had any problem with any of them. I shoot about 4000 rounds a year through the 12 gauge. Never a problem.

My order goes in today for a 500 Bantam weight youth model in 20 gauge for my son. He and I both drew a turkey permit. This is his first year of hunting. Should be fun.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:55 PM

I've seen more problems with the 500's than I have the 870's, so I'd have prefered an 870, but the Mossberg is a decent gun for the money.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:25 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

For pretty and sleekness I go with the 870 but for performance I have to go with Mossburg. I have seen malfunctions from many shotguns but only one with a mossburg. I have a mossburg 590 Military style shotgun and love it. My dad has the ulti-mag and I told him I want it willed to me. It's a nice one. Getting ready to buy a Mossburg for my brother. Your price was damned good to.

David

Quick Reply: BOUGHT NEW SHOTGUN. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE CHOICE?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.