Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 bushmaster V Match 16" accuracy >

bushmaster V Match 16" accuracy

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

bushmaster V Match 16" accuracy

Old 01-27-2004, 06:51 PM

Default bushmaster V Match 16" accuracy

Does anyone have experience with the bushmaster 16" V Match rifle. Specifically, I'm wondering how well they shoot and how much velocity is lost with the shorter barrel. I'm looking for a "lighter weight" jackrabbit/Coyote rifle. I'm hoping it will at least shot 1 moa. Any suggestions?
Old 01-28-2004, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bushmaster V Match 16" accuracy

No personal experience but here is what Bushmaster publishes as far as velocity goes:

.................................55 Grain.............62 Grain..............................

16 inch Barrel............3132 fps..............2989 fps..............................

20 inch Barrel............3259 fps..............3095 fps..............................

24 inch Barrel............3315 fps..............3158 fps..............................

As far as weight goes the 20" barreled V Match is listed at 8.05 lbs and a 16" non fluted barrel is suppose to weigh .8lbs less so your looking at a tad over 7 lbs.

In the accuracy department every thing I read and everyone I talk to that has one raves about the guns accuracy. I am told it doesn't have a bad trigger but like many rifles out of the box it could use some "work".
Old 01-28-2004, 10:21 AM

elkaddict,

I wish I could help you on the 16".

I have the Bushmaster V-match, (XM15E2S) flattop with a 20" barrel.

I don't consider the 20" to be too long, but that's just my .2cents.

Accuracy is fantastic. my neighbor and I bought identical rifles. We both get sub MOA at 100 yards. Here is the best part, we are getting this accuracy with the cheapest Wal-mart ammo, the Rem. FMJ stuff that costs $3.78 for 20 rounds. It also shoots the Winchester (white box 40 rounds) CXP hollow points ($11.88) just as well if not better.

The V-Match rifles have a chrome bore and chamber. The tech support at BM told me not to expect the best accuracy until after about 200 rounds. Reason; the first 200 rounds polishes the chrome. When new, the bore looked like it was painted with gray primer. I now have about 150 rounds fired, it is pretty shiny. Accuracy has been slightly improving, best groups of three at 100 yds have been around 5/8".

Trigger wasn't too bad when new, but much better after I stoned the surfaces. Now I like it a lot more.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:56 PM

Thank you for the information--it has been helpful. I already own several bolt varmint rifles so I don't need a gun that shoots 1/4" groups. I do want something that is light and handles quickly for shooting at running coyotes and jack rabbits. My ranch rifle is light and handles well but 5 moa accuracy doesn't cut it and I don't want to spend what it will take to make it shoot. How hard was it to smooth out the trigger? What did you get it down to? BM will install their competition trigger for $90. As this is not intended as a bench shooter, what would you suggest? By the way, have you shot the carbon 15 rifles? If so, how did they shoot?
Old 01-29-2004, 07:09 AM

elkaddict,

I haven't shot the carbon rifles.

It wasn't hard to stone the trigger, took about 15 minutes. I haven't put a scale to the trigger, but it's pretty decent. The way I look at it, is if I can shoot it sub MOA the way it is, it's good enough. Hell, come to think of it, I was shooting sub MOA before I stoned it.

Looking back, I probably should have had that $90 dollar comp trigger put in mine. I think it's a good deal.

Good luck, I know you'll love the Bushmaster. MH