Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 What is the most accurate bolt .22 >

What is the most accurate bolt .22

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

What is the most accurate bolt .22

Old 01-18-2004, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default What is the most accurate bolt .22

Hello,

I am looking to buy a new .22 to replace my old semi-auto marlin. I am looking for ideas related to which .22 bolt is the most "out of the box" accurate. I would like it to be stainless/synthetic if possible. I am a die hard Remington guy, but I have heard good things about the Ruger M77/22.

I plan to add a Leupold rimfire scope. I know spending $800.00 or $900.00 on a .22 set up it nuts. I look at it as a good gun and optics is a lifetime investment and have realized more often than not "you get what you pay for".

Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What is the most accurate bolt .22

I own a 541-T heavy barrel Remington that is deadly accurate but don't think Remington makes a bolt 22 anymore.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:38 PM

For the money, you can't beat a Savage! I bought one for the wife, and it's the most accurate rimfire rifle I've ever shot!
Old 01-18-2004, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anschutz is hard to beat. They are the bolt action of choice for many if not most Olympians and they do make sporter versions of their target guns. I have shot them and they are excellent.

I have heard good things about CZ, and a few others Kimber, Savage, Marlin, and a Ruger M77/22 in no particular order. I guess what a person needs to identify is, what your definition of accurate is.

I have a Volquartsen made in the ruger 10/22 version that is deadly accurate. With the right ammo it will tear holes at 50 yards. Really fun to shoot as long as one uses high quality target ammo. The tolerences in this gun are really tight and if one uses "regular stock .22 ammo" it can have a hic-up in cycling.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree the Anshultz are get guns. I don't see them very often.The Ruger 77/22 are quite accurate from what I've been told. I have never shot one or owned one.They are pricey though for a 22 IMHO.If you don't mine spending that kind of money for a 22 then it would be a good rifleThe Ruger M-77/22 does came in Stainless Steel and synthetic stock.It's called the "All Weather" Catalog number is K77/22RSP($605.00) which has sights. Without sights it's K77/22RP($580.00) These are MSRP. You can find them for allot less doing your homework.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-19-2004, 07:18 PM

All of the ones listed above are good. Also look at Kimber.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

I have the Ruger and it shoots pretty good, but, if I were going to spend the money you plan on, I'd go with the Kimber Model 82. My dad has the 82 Custom Classic and it shoots circles around my Ruger. But, there is quite a bit of difference in price between the two. I'm sure that the Anschutz is just as good, but I don't have any personal experience with it. Good luck on your search.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:27 PM

The Rugers have a reputation for being inconsistant. Some of them shoot very well but other are just so-so. An Anschutz will be your best best as others have said. After that probably Sako or CZ. The CZ 452's are probably the best value on the market.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:03 AM

Take a look at the Kimbers. I just looked at one the other day and the test target it came with was a group that measured .33" at 50 yards. I own a ruger 77/22 with a Leupold VX-II 3X9X40 on it and with CCI mini mags it with shoot 1/2" groups all day.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

I like the Kimber 22. These are beautiful little 22's. Excellent finish, metal/wood fit, great trigger, smooth bolt, and a very nice total package. And they shoot as good as they look. I zeroed one in for a buddy about a year and ahalf ago, after I put on a new Simmons Aetec 3.5-10x scope. With PMC Match 22 L/R ammo, after I zeroed it in at 50yds, I shot one 5 shot sub 1" group at 100yds, the rest of the groups were in the 1.25-1.5" range. These are adult 22's and come with a nice price tag for a 22, but you get a lot of 22 for the $$$. You can check them out at http://www.kimberamerica.com/kimber22.php

I also like the Savage Mark II-BV. But it is not the gun that the Kimber is. The trigger is not that great on the Savage, neither is the blueing and metal/wood fit, but it shoots pretty good in spite of it, at half the price of the Kimber or less. Savage supposedly has a Accu-trigger type trigger in the works for their rimfire guns. You can check the Savage out at http://www.savagearms.com/markiibv.htm

And don't rule out Marlin. They are supposedly coming out with adjustable trigger models in their 22 LR, 22 Mag, and 17 RFM line this year. Also for 2004, Remington is coming out with a model 504 22 LR, that is supposedly for the serious 22 LR shooter/hunter, with a heavy barrel, adjustable trigger, and walnut stock.

Quick Reply: What is the most accurate bolt .22

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.