Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger Handguns

Old 01-15-2004, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ruger Handguns

I've always owned revolver handguns and don't know anything at all about auto's but a friend of mine has a Ruger P90 45cal that is new in the box that he said he would sell me for $350. I've never owned an auto in fear of it jamming but always told myself if i ever bought one i'd go ahead and spend the money and get a Berreta or a Glock. Is the Ruger P90 a good operating auto handgun and is that a good price? Thank You!
Old 01-15-2004, 12:20 PM

Default RE: Ruger Handguns

Ruger semi-auto handguns are durable, function flawlessly, and are usually very accurate. They are also ugly as sin, but if you can get past that and their size, they make a great self-defense handgun.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:22 PM

Hi Mykey,

I second Danny45's comments. Other than the fact that Ruger's autos look somewhat clunky....they tend to be very reliable and durable. As to the price....I'd suggest you look around your area and see what they are selling for both new and used. That is the only way to determine it's value in your particular area.

Fortunately for me....Ruger autos normally sell for somewhat "discount" prices in my area. Mostly because names like Glocks, Sigs, Kimbers, etc...get all the attention...and "top dollar". And that suits me just fine. As much as I like some of the other manufacturers as well....I also own and shoot Rugers....and got them for considerably less.

Good luck!
Old 01-15-2004, 09:31 PM

Ruger makes a fine gun, and I don't think you could go wrong owning one.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd suggest that you shoot it before you buy it. Everybody is different in the style, type and even model of handgun that they shoot the best. The best handgun for you is a personal thing. I've shot the P90 before and I personally didn't care for it, and not because it was substandard in any way. It just didn't fit as naturally as the Glock 21 does. I've found that I and the most comfortable with and shoot Glocks the best.

My boss swears by his Ruger autos, and he owns at least one of each semi-auto Ruger has ever made. And he's a deadly good shot with them too. I swear by my Glock and would take it to hell and back if I had to. But that doesn't mean either is "better" than the other.

Oh, and I also agree that the Ruger semi-auto CF handguns are ugly. But then again, my boss thinks that Glocks are ugly, too. Eye of the beholder, I guess.

Mike
Old 01-16-2004, 12:45 PM

Ruger autos seem to be dependable, they've just never been my favorite due to the blocky looks and feel.

I'm assuming the pistol is "like new in the box" and not "new in the box". $350.00 would be fair for the stainless model and probably a little high for the blue model. If you look around though you'll probably be able to beat that price on a used one. I'd consider $300.00 to be a decent price on a nice used one.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mykey, Go for it. Depending on it's condition of course.MSRP is over 500.00 for a blued P90.If this gun is like NIB 350.00 would be a fair price.One thing I have foundout dealing with Ruger over the years. If there is a problem with their firearms they will make it right.These Rugers are a dependable and accurate handgun. Accuracy can only be as good as the shooters ability naturally.If you do your part the P90 will do it's part.I think you'll be happy with a Ruger semi auto.I also like the Glocks and Sigs but are a little more pricey.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-21-2004, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Mykey I've always owned revolver handguns and don't know anything at all about auto's but a friend of mine has a Ruger P90 45cal that is new in the box that he said he would sell me for $350. I've never owned an auto in fear of it jamming but always told myself if i ever bought one i'd go ahead and spend the money and get a Berreta or a Glock. Is the Ruger P90 a good operating auto handgun and is that a good price? Thank You!

IF you want a handgun that won't jam, get an M1911A1 G.I., and shoot military hardball ammo in it! There may be others that are also reliable, but I can speak from 45 years of experience with the G.I. M1911A1!
Old 01-21-2004, 12:27 PM

I have to admit, I love the 1911 style handguns. But there are numerous other guns out there that are just as reliable as the old Colt 1911a1. Ruger, Smith, Glock, Sig, H&K are a few. I for one have a Kimber 1911 style pistol that would not be on my hip if it wasn't 100% reliable. Reliability should be tested prior to anyone carrying a firearm for protection.

and shoot military hardball ammo in it!
I disagree with that statement if the gun is used for anything other than target practice. There are plenty of semi-autos out there that will handle loads other than full metal jacket or "hardball" ammo. Jacketed round nose bullets do not mushroom. They punch a .45" hole thru it's target unless it hits bone, and keeps on going until it runs out of energy.

A good semi-auto will handle hollowpoints without a problem and those are what should be used for any defensive purposes. Especially home defense. FMJ ammo will penetrate walls and people easily and are a liability issue if they hit someone they aren't intended for. Hollowpoints reduce that risk considerably.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are going to use the pistol for personal defense, then there is no excuse not to get a pistol that is designed to function reliably with good premium JHP bullets designed for personal defense applications (not hunting). Unless you're in the military you have no good reason for using ball ammo for a defensive load. There are too many guns of all shapes and sizes that will function reliably with defensive JHP's, and too many very good defensive JHP loads for them, to use ball ammo.

I will not dispute that the Model 1911A1 handgun and clones are good pistols, but I've known of a great many that are a little picky about feeding bullets with large hollow points (Hydra-Shoks are a good example). The .45ACP with Hauge Convention compliant (i.e. legal for use in warfare) non-expanding JRN bullets was certainly a good man-stopper RELATIVELY SPEAKING, compared to say the 9mm Luger with non-expanding JRN ball ammo. But JRN bullets, IMO, are NOT suitable for civilian defensive use because they will overpenetrate and will not reliably stop an assailant with one hit (.45ACP JRN has a 1-shot stop rate of about 65%, compared to the .45ACP Hydra-shok with 93%)

I would say that you should stick with your notion of getting the P90. It is a good gun that will feed (most) modern defensive ammo reliably. Other good defensive handgun makers are Glock (my favorite), Sig, H&K (I used to own a USP45, great gun but a little TOO big, IMO), Beretta (don't personally care for them, but they are good handguns), and for a 1911 clone I'd go with a Kimber over any other. Also don't discount the potential of a good double action revolver. A .357Mag revolver with a 3-5" barrel and full throttle defensive loads is the best (practical) defensive handgun caliber available.

For me, I'll stick with my Glock. I keep it loaded with Federal 230gr. .45ACP Hydra-Shoks, and it is exceptionally reliable with them. I'm sure the Ruger autos are reliable too.

Mike

Quick Reply: Ruger Handguns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.