Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Ruger, Winchester, or Remington bolt action? >

Ruger, Winchester, or Remington bolt action?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger, Winchester, or Remington bolt action?

Old 01-09-2004, 03:25 AM

Default Ruger, Winchester, or Remington bolt action?

Hey everybody,
I've been loking into guns to buy. So far I got it narrowed down to these:

I would need the Ruger Deerfield for blocking trail for pigs and for a bush gun.

But I'm not sure what bolt action to get. I'ld mostly need it for Feral goat, pigs, Black-tailed and axis deer, but also for mouflon sheep. I think I'm gonna get one in .270. I really like the Ruger and Winchester but heard that the ruger has a Bad trigger. If I got the Winchester, it comes in the .270 WSM.

Anyone else have any of these guns? Any problems? does the Ruger really have a bad trigger and is the Winchester better? How about the Remington 700?

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:36 AM

Default RE: Ruger, Winchester, or Remington bolt action?

Hi Nic Barca,

With liability lawyers being what they are....many if not most.....factory rifles come out of the box needing some trigger attention. Any of the bolt action center fire rifles from Ruger, Remington, or Winchester, can have their triggers either tuned, or replaced, leaving you with a very "good" trigger.

You are likely to get advice, both praising and d**ning, from different individuals on this site....because of their individual preferences. (Which is fine....they should let you know how they feel.) But if I were choosing a rifle for myself, I consider all such input, go handle all the rifles you are interested in....and buy the one that fits you the best....and you like the best. Any of those triggers can be made more than acceptable. (A competent gunsmith and a little money.)

Quite a few folks will tell you they don't believe you should have to pay a penny for aftermarket adjustments. And if they feel that way....they shouldn't. But just as I buy my rifle....then choose my scope and/or bases/rings.....then choose my sling......then pick a case.....you get my point. I set the rifle up the way "I like it". And if that includes a few bucks to address a trigger I don't care for....so be it. If I were buying a semi-custom ordered rifle, (costing three or four times as much), I'd expect more from the trigger out of the box. But, (with many thanks to those same lawyers), when I buy a factory rifle from a major manufacturer, I understand the realities of liability...and economics. (For instance a bolt action from Remington's Custom Shop will have a very good trigger as is...but it cost more.) If it cost me a few more bucks to make myself happy with the trigger...that's what I'll do.

And as an aside....I think Savage is now selling "all" of its centerfire rifles with their new "Accutrigger". So that might offer you another option!

Good luck with your choice!
Old 01-09-2004, 11:41 AM

I love my Ruger and yes it had a very heavy trigger pull when I bought it but I knew that before I bought it. Havent had a single problem with it so far in 4 years. Mine is in 6.5 x 55.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

I own nothing but Remingtons and love them all. But I think any of the guns you mentioned would make you happy!
Old 01-09-2004, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Winchester has a great trigger desighn from what i read,but like all factory rifles, there gonna be heavy. Cost me 20$ to take mine to a gunsmith to have it set to 3-3.5 lbs and its awsome. All three make great guns. I LOVE my model 70 featherweight 270 wsm, its a blast and would fit the bill for your needs. Of course so would a ruger or remington in the right caliber. The 270 is a great cartridge for the game you intend to hunt.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:58 AM

I have a ruger 77 Stainless with a synthetic stock in 300 win mag and I love it. They have a great stock design for shooting, although I have the old ruger synthetic stock with the funky grip plates, that I really don't like the looks, but I love how it feels! If possible, I would only own Rugers, I love their guns, so I guess you an say I am biased
Old 01-14-2004, 04:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a new Ruger in 260. The trigger is not hard to pull but it has about a half mile of pull with lots of creep. It really isn't useable out of the box. From what I have heard though it an easy trigger to tune up. This one will go to the gunsmith. I love the gun except for the trigger. Remingtons I can adjust myself to perfection. Never looked at a Winchester trigger. I have only owned one Winchester bolt gun in my life. The Savage with the Accu-trigger should be great right out of the box. I think most of my future rifles will be Savage. Good trigger and accurate out of the box.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

I own rugar and winchesters no rems .. I never played with the trigger on the rugars but the wins are easy to do your self .. they have 2 lock nut adjust till you like it the lock them down .. I like both rugars and winchesters but lean twards win ..Bill
Old 01-14-2004, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger, Remington, or Winchester?

Ford, Chevy, or Dodge?

I'd say handle them all then pick the one you like the best. I have a Ruger M77VT MkII that I like very much. It's a good gun. But so are the Model 70's and the M700's. The only rifle by one of the aforementioned companies I wouldn't own if someone wanted to give me one free would be the Remington 710 rifle. They are the biggest POS bolt rifle I've ever seen, and only sell because they bear the Remington name. If you want to go cheap, buy a Savage in blue/black. They are a much better rifle than the 710 by a long shot.

Now if you want a good accurate rifle with the best trigger on the market, check out the 2004 Savages. Savage decided to put the Accu-Trigger on all their rifles, and it is one heck of a good trigger system. It's designed to be user adjustable from 1.5-6lbs, and it has the least creep and breaks the cleanest of any factory trigger that I've tried. The Savages are also a great value, especially with the Accu-Trigger, and are well known for their out of the box accuracy. But admittedly they aren't all the prettiest rifles to look at, but the deer don't care. All they see is the muzzle anyway, right?

Mike
Old 01-15-2004, 05:25 AM

Any of them will work, but I'm like 338, I prefer the Winchester trigger. I've worked on all three of them and the Winchester is the easiest to work with.

My order of preference (based on the options you listed) just based on personal likes and dislikes is Winchester, Remington, then Ruger.

Quick Reply: Ruger, Winchester, or Remington bolt action?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.