Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Shotgun with cantilever base >

Shotgun with cantilever base

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Shotgun with cantilever base

Old 12-31-2003, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shotgun with cantilever base

Does a shotgun mounted with a scope using a cantilever base such as the Winchester Black Shadow deer gun be more accurate then the Remington 870 Express deer gun mounted with a scope without the cantilever base ??? The cantilever base is part of the barrel on the Winchester where as the Remington base is separate then the barrel.... Both would have the rifled barrel of course...Any comments?x
Old 12-31-2003, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun with cantilever base

I DON'T THINK ANYONE IS BETTER THEN ANOTHER. I HAVE A FEW SHOTGUNS WITH THE CANTILEVER MOUNT, AND I LOVE THEM. WITH THE CANTILEVER YOU TAKE THE BARREL OFF WITH THE SCOPE PUT ON YOUR BIRD BARRLE WITHOUT TAKING THE SCOPE OFF, SO WITH THAT YOUR SHOTGUN BECOMES A MULTI TASK FIREARM
Old 12-31-2003, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bow, I hadn’t really thought of that option but it makes allot of sense. This option is more practical then the question on accuracy. What type of scope would you recommend for on a shotgun that can take the kick and isn’t to expensive? It would have to be a low power scope for the bush??4
Old 12-31-2003, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I HAVE A FEW BUT FOR INEXPENSIVE, AND LOW POWER THE ONE I LIKE AND I HAVE 2 OF THEM ONE FOR MY MOSSBERG 12ga., AND ANOTHER FOR MY MOSSBERG 20ga. IS THE BUSHNELL TROPHY SCOPE IN 1.5x5, OR IS IT 1.75X5, WELL THEY ARE GOOD SCOPES NOT GREAT SCOPES. ALSO MY BEST SLUG GUN IS MY REMINGTON 11-87 SEMI-AUTO 12ga. TOPPED OFF WITH A LEUPOLD 3-9X40, TOOK A BLACK BEAR A FEW WEEKS AGO HERE IN NEW JERSEY.

WHAT TYPE OF SHOTGUN ARE PLANNING TO USE? ACTION, MAKE, MODEL?
Old 12-31-2003, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had my heart set on the Remington 870 Express but I would like the cantilever so it’s probably going to be the 12 ga. Winchester black shadow pump as I had mentioned above... For scopes I was looking at the Bushnell, Leupold and Nikon low power scopes. I had looked at the Bushnell Trophy and the Banner Dusk to Dawn but was concerned with the recoil of the gun. Noticing that you have used the Bushnell Trophy I will probably look at them again.

You mentioned that you got a black bear with the shotgun. Ho w did it hold up and was it the Sabot Slugs that you were using..?^
Old 01-01-2004, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

THE BEAR WAS RUNNING AND I TOOK A 50yrd. BROADSIDE SHOT, THE BEAR RAN NO MORE THEN 10yds. AND THE HUNT WAS OVER. HUNTING IN MY HOME STATE OF NEW JERSEY FOR OVER 22yrs. WE ARE LIMITED TO SHOTGUNS OR MUZZLELOADER. WHAT YOU NEED TO DO IS TRY DIFFERENT SLUGS, BUT TO BE HONEST I FOUND THAT THE "LIGHTFIELD" SLUGS WORK GREAT.

IF YOU GOTO THE NORTHEAST SECTION ON THIS SITE, YOU WILL SEE A POST "BOWHUNTER'S NEW JERSEY BEAR" MY PICTURE WITH THE BEAR IS THERE.

ALSO GOTO www.lightfieldslugs.com GO THERE TO SEE WHY THESE SLUGS ARE SO GREAT
Old 01-01-2004, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bow, Thanks for all the info and congratulations on that black bear. Good jobˇı
Old 01-01-2004, 12:51 PM

Trailer, I have a Leupold Vari-X II 1x4 power shotgun scope on my Remington 870. I took it to a gunsmith and had it drilled and tapped and used a Weaver style one piece base made for a Remington 7400 autoloader (has the same receiver contour as the 870). I have had it on the gun for 10 yrs. now with no problem with reliability, it has always kept it's zero. As far as the accuracy issue goes, I can't comment much on that as I use the gun for turkey hunting only so I don't know if it is more/less accurate than a cantilever mount. But I do know if it can take 3" mag 2 oz. turkey loads repeatedly and hold it's zero, it is a good scope and worth the extra money. You won't go wrong with a Leupold.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

MO, Leupold makes very good quality scopes but it’s a quite a bit more then I wanted to spend especially the VX-II series. The VX-I series was still a little high for me. I’ll just keep looking. Thanks...ˇ
Old 01-03-2004, 08:17 AM

Trailer, here's just a little something for you to think about if you're looking for a shotgun scope that won't break the bank. I have three friends who have the Simmons 2.5x20mm shotgun scopes on their Winchester pumps. I've never heard any of them ever complain about the performance of these scopes either. Several of the guys on the turkey hunting forum like the Simmons scopes also. Simmons makes a 2x7x32mm variable shotgun scope also. Here is a link to them if you want to check them out http://www.riflescopes.com/store/dep...s.asp?dept=249. I know Canadian prices are higher than US prices but this will give you an idea of how much they are. Good luck!!

Quick Reply: Shotgun with cantilever base

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.