Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

1" vs. 30mm scope

Old 12-13-2003, 02:10 PM

Default 1" vs. 30mm scope

I'm contemplating a new scope and am leaning towards a 4.5 X 14 VARXIII for a longrange big game rifle. I've looked at the more expensive swarovski 1" scopes but can't see a difference on a resolution chart at the store. Leupolds have never let me down and appear to gather more than enough light to shoot till legal hunting time. Is there any real benefit to getting the swarovski 1" or even moving up to the 30 mm scopes? To move up to a 30mm swarovski is more than triple the cost of a good old VARXIII. How about the LPS scopes which are 30mm? Anyone been down this road? I love swarovski binoculars--they have been worth every hard earned penny. With legal shooting light limitations, what is the benefit?
Old 12-15-2003, 09:48 AM

Default RE: 1" vs. 30mm scope

Elkaddict,

The only advantage to a 30mm tube vs. a 1" is the 30mm will allow for more windage and elevation adjustments. This maybe necessary if you are doing long range shooting out past a certain point. You can determine if a 30mm tube is need by looking at the amount of elevation that is need to shoot a particular distance based on your caliber of gun. Another expense in a 30mm tube is that internal parts are usually stronger, due to the larger diameter of the tube, making them tougher or more durable. The difference in brightness and clarity is basically due the quality of optics and the quality and number of lens coatings.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
[email protected]
Old 12-15-2003, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jon, some very good advice concerning the merits of 30mm vs 1" tubes. Elkaddict I would wait until Leupold comes out with their new VX-III line...there may or may not be something worthwhile for you in it.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you are comparing scopes in a store you are wasting your time as you will probably see little difference between any of them from the best to the worst.However in low light conditions in huntingsituations the difference in lenses and coatings is obvious.I used to have leupold varixiii's mounted on all of my hunting rifles but switched to 1" swarovski 3x10x42's.They are noticeably brighter than the leupolds in low light conditions due to superior lenses and coatings.They have also proven to be just as durable as the leupolds as well.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the insight. Does anyone have any experience with the LPS scopes? They are essentially the same money as a 1" leupold. Any thoughts?
Old 12-15-2003, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Elkaddict, have you looked at the Leupold european models. I have used the Leupold european scope with the 30mm main tube and a 50mm obj. lens for this years hunt under low light conditions it was nice and bright. I was so impressed that I’m looking at getting another scope for another rifle and it will also have the 30mm main tube.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:06 PM

Elkaddict,

Just a quick question, where can you get a LPS for the same price as a 1" tube Leupold? If you can, I would snatch it up in a hurry.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
[email protected]
Old 12-17-2003, 09:34 AM

Outdoor Wizard.........I don't know much about scopes so the info. on the 1" vs 30mm was very interesting. If light gathering ability is no different between a 1" and a 30 mm ..........then does going from like a 42 mm to a 50mm or 56 mm really make a big difference in low light ???

I mostly have bowhunted for the last 6-7 years .......but just bought a 1" tube Zeiss Diavari VM/V 3X9X42 for my ole rifle and kind of been wondering if I should've went with a bigger version !

I can't complain though........it is so much better than anything I've ever had.....probably added 30 minutes of hunting time over my previous scope !
Old 12-17-2003, 11:34 AM

CBM SC,

Honestly that all depends on the Make and Model. If you are talking about equal scopes, the larger the diamater the more light will be transmitted. But is it worth the extra weight and higher rings? My opinion No. Comparing a 40mm to a 50mm, you will not add that much more time to your hunting. Also, when looking at light transmission, another thing to look at is the exit pupil. To calculated the exit pupil, you will take the objective size divided by the power setting. Example: a 3-9x40 scope, at 3 power your exit pupil is 13.3mm where at 9 power it is 4.4mm. With a 3-9x50, on 3 power it is 16.6mm and at 9 power is it 5.5mm. A normal and healthy eye can only except 7.0mm of light, so anything more than that is unuseable. Here is Michigan, I use a 3-9x40 and I have no problem seeing the deer or crosshairs during normal shooting hours. I am not familiar with the Zeiss line, but have heard that they are very bright. So actually your 3-9x42 maybe brighter than alot of your 3-9x50's. Hopefully this answers your questions.

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com
[email protected]
Old 12-17-2003, 11:41 AM

Thanks !!

Quick Reply: 1" vs. 30mm scope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.