Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 3 1/2 " semiauto shotgun >

3 1/2 " semiauto shotgun

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

3 1/2 " semiauto shotgun

Old 12-04-2003, 05:10 AM
Spike

Default 3 1/2 " semiauto shotgun

I'm in the market for a new 3 1/2" 12 ga. semiauto. I have narrowed the 3 choices. The 11-87 super mag, super X2, and the Browning Gold. Anybody have any advice or information on these guns.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:06 AM

Default RE: 3 1/2 " semiauto shotgun

Stay away from the Remington. I really like Remington rifles, I have a boatload of them, but the gas system on the 11-87 sucks. Have your dealer tear one down for you and you see the source of their trouble. The rubber O-ring in the gas system. If you do a fair amount of shooting you’re going to have to replace it now and again. And when it gets really cold outside your going to marvel at your new single shot.

If you lay the Winchester Super X-2 and the Browning Gold side by side you find little difference. Both are made by Browning. With that said, I own a Browning Gold in 10ga and a close friend has the Super X-2 in 12 Ga. 3 ½. That Super X-2 has taken a ton of birds and it never misses a beat. I find that I don’t take my Browning out very often, it’s a real pretty gun and I hate the idea tearing it up, so I’ve ended up with yet another safe queen, but it is one shootin SOB. OK maybe I just don’t have the time to spend afield like I want to. The Super X-2 however with its matte finish and synthetic stock makes it a real workhorse, great shotgun.

Either way Browning or Winchester I’m sure you’ll be very pleased.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

There have been a lot of problems with the 11-87 3&1/2 guns. There were some problems with the Browning when they first came out but they appear to have been resolved. I own the Browing twin, the Winchester SX2, and feed it a diet of 3&1/2's and it just keeps on truckin' heck I've even pressed it into sporting clays usage a time or two. They are great guns that hold up in a duck blind.

Gordon
Old 12-04-2003, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

Forget the Remington. It comes down to price and features between the Browning and Winchester. The Browning is $100.00 more than the Winchester. The Browning has speed load and a magazine cut off that the Winchester does not. The ribs on the barrels are also different. I have the Browning Gold 3 1/2" in Duratouch Shadow Grass. My best buddy has the Winchester Super X2 in black synthetic. Both guns are rock solid.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:40 PM
jwr

How about the benelli 3.5. Anyone have any thoughts on how that compares to the others?
Old 12-05-2003, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

The Benelli SBE is a fine gun. It's priced about the same as the Browning.I work/hunt with a guy who has one. He likes his, but does have problems with lighter loads not cycling. There have been some bad reviews on the SBE at gunsreview.com. I also know some guys who own the Franchi 912 and the Beretta Extrema. I've shot over 100 rounds with each of them at the range. While the both shot nice and cycled every time. I did not like the feel of either gun. That surprised me because I own a Franchi AL-48 and 612 and love em. They both seem to be pretty happy with their guns. The guy with the Beretta says he needs to keep it pretty clean to fuction properly.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:05 AM

I shoot the Beretta Xtrema and really like it. It was built for 3.5 shells. I have not had any problems with mine like Worc mentioned, but I also heard it was necessary to shoot a good amount of heavy loads through the gun before even thinking about target loads.