Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

7mm rem mag

Old 12-22-2003, 08:40 AM
yoz

Default RE: 7mm rem mag

The 7mm is an excellent chioce that's all I use for Deer hunting here in NY and I love mine.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

At the distances that you state I would use a 140 gr. Nosler Partition. If you don't reload Federal has this load available. This will be flat shooting and the bullet will retain enough weight if you have to shoot close up. The 7MM Rem. Mag. is a wonderful caliber and most rifles chambered for this caliber have the ability to be very accurate. My step-father has a Ruger 77 Mk I and his with the aforementioned load is a 3/4" gun at 100 yards.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have had five 7 Mags. However I really don't like them that much. They have the most felt recoil for performance delievered than any other caliber I have owned. For deer hunting they just won't do anything that my 260 and 257 Roberts won't do with much much much less recoil. The 257 Roberts kills them plenty good to get them in the freezer and thats dead enough for me.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:46 PM

I hunted witha Ruger #1 in 7mm Rem. Mag. this year for the first time. Used 140 grain Nosler Partitions in the Federal line with very good success on a Maine white-tail at 50 yards. While that deer would have been just as dead with my 308, I have no complaints.