Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Need Help Selecting a Hunting Pistol >

Need Help Selecting a Hunting Pistol

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Need Help Selecting a Hunting Pistol

Old 11-25-2003, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need Help Selecting a Hunting Pistol

I' m looking for a non-automatic pistol for handgun hunting deer - something along a .45 caliber and has to have a scope mount.

Also, something with a silent hammer or no hammer at all - I scared away a 12pt this weekend when he heard me pull the hammer back.

I would like to get in under $500. Any suggestions? T/C Contender? Anything else?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-26-2003, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Need Help Selecting a Hunting Pistol

I just bought an Encore and love it. The hammer makes a little " click" but no more than ony other pistol that I have. I also love the versality of it. You can get 80 different calibers and turn it into a rifle.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:58 AM
Spike

If you want to stay with a pistol I would give the Contender G2 a look. If, in the future, you may want a rifle give the Encore a good look. I have the Encore and truly love it.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

I compared the G2 and Encore before I bought one. The Ecnore has many more possibilities for mid to big game. You can get barrels like 300 for the encore but not for the G2. The only advantage of the G2 is that you can switch it to rim fire.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:02 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbuck270

The only advantage of the G2 is that you can switch it to rim fire.
Encores can now fire rimfire ammo without having to install the adapter for it. Check it out.

http://www.mbmco.net/Merchant2/merch...ategory_Code=P

Either way you can' t go wrong with a Thompson Center.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:00 PM

I agree with the others. The contender is the way to go. Now, for a cartridge. .45 caliber huh? How about .45-70?? But you better be a man to shoot it. LOL
Old 11-26-2003, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

45-70? At the risk of sounding like a gun virgin, what does the 70 mean? I' m a bowhunter mostly - slug gun hunter once a year. I carried a friends Ruger .45 in the field on day 2 of shotgun season here (new Illinois law) and fell in love with it. Thats why I' m looking for a pistol/revolver.

I don' t have much use for a rifle here. In Illinois we can only hunt varmits and coyotes with rifle - I' m not in to either.

I looked at a Ruger Super RedHawk 454 today and except for the price, was pretty impressed. It comes with scope rings also. I' m going to a gun auction Sunday morning and would like to have some ideas.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:21 AM

It' s an old designation that is still used today. When metallic cartridges came out, it was common to see this type of designation on cartridges. The .45-70 means 45 caliber/70 grains of black powder. The Contender can also shoot just about any rifle cartridge.

The Ruger Redhawk is a fine revolver. So is the Taurus Raging Bull. The .454 is probably the .454 Casull. A true flame throwing, monster killing cartridge, with recoil to match. The above guns in that caliber are usually ported to tame some of that.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:26 PM

i had a ruger super blackhawk 44 mag 2.5 simmons scope. it loved 300 gr cast bullets. i shot one deer with it, 2 shot through the chest and when i mean through i mean 2 half inch holes one side one 4 inch on the other. the gun was fun to shoot but it was a hand full
Old 12-05-2003, 11:33 PM

Hands down for the money your talking about it's got to be a TC Contender or Encore. Wonderful hunting handguns!

Quick Reply: Need Help Selecting a Hunting Pistol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.