Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Experienced Deer Hunters >

Experienced Deer Hunters

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Experienced Deer Hunters

Old 04-15-2020, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

not a thing, but no better than many others from 243 to 7mm
RR
Old 04-15-2020, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

I got a good one if you wanna try one out!

-Jake
Old 04-15-2020, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I got a good one if you wanna try one out!

-Jake
Jake, put a decent bullet where it needs to be and it really doesn't matter, the results will be the same across the board, nothing wrong with an '06, but they try to make bullets to perform along a very wide range, from deer to elk to moose, in the smaller calibers the bullets are more or less centered on deer, I know they make 30 cal deer bullets but the percentage of strictly deer bullets is less in 30 cal. and why subject yourself to the recoil if you don't have to. the last buck I killed with the 6mm was 403 yards, held 6" over his back at the shoulder and he piled up in 30 yards, why do I need an '06 which burns 20 gr. more powder to do its job?

Old 04-15-2020, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Range is 200 yards, you put an expanding bullet in the pocket behind the shoulder of a mature buck..... which chambering will kill him deadest? from 243 t0 300?
Old 04-15-2020, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree that its more about where the bullet goes than the caliiber of the rifle!

but where I come from, folks tend to want extra power or less
and this can be due to many I think feel a need to say they have a BIG caliber gun(ego's maybe??)

but then again, a lot depends on where your hunting, deer in WV are not the same size as whitetail deer in other places( I have killed whitetail deer that were close to 300 lbs field dressed on an official scale)
and NOT saying a smaller caliber cannot still kill larger deer, they can
but things don;t always go as planned, so having a little extra power, isn;t always a bad thing
and since most HUNTERS don't shoot all that much ammo, the costs of a little extra powder is not a real issue to consider!
and if were honest, MANY hunters ain't the best at shooting either, been on too many ranges to know this for a fact, lots THINK there way better than they really are, all the more NOT shooting off bench!
so a tad extra power and possible lee way for them, isn;t always a BAD thing!

and a dead deer is a dead deer, no matter the caliber that killed it, ain't no deer deader than another LOL

Old 04-15-2020, 07:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ahh yes. This is exactly what I was looking for. Some good old fashion campfire talk. We all seem to be of the same mindset sans maybe one or two of us. A lot of it depends on your area too. But this is good stimuli for the sole. While I no longer have a .270 Win (I could kick myself for trading it in) I do have a 270 WSM but it doesn't shoot near as well as the one I traded in.
I've seen guys successfully use a .223 for deer. But IMO its too light. Again my opinion.
These days if my deer tags remain unfilled after archery season, which hasn't happened in a while, I usually grab one of my 45-70s. But if I think I may have a shot longer than 200 yards I reach for my 7-08. But this year I may just have to give my brandy new 350 Legend the nod. Hoping I will get a chance to use that in Ohio.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

well the firearms i have used to kill deer include 20 ga 12 ga 16 ga 30-30 243 7.7 jap 30-06 308 45-70 460 450 bushmaster 444 marlin & 45 cal muzzle loader & of coarse the 50 cal inlines . in hand guns i've taken them with 44 mag 45-70 & 460 & the 454 casull . the best one i like using is the 450 bushmaster . everything i've hit with has gone down right there . but i love my inline muzzleloaders. pretty mch the same eveything i hit i have found with in 100 yrds. except last year did'nt recover one during the muzzleloader season . just made me sick that i did'nt recover it . it went into a creek & never did find it . until this spring when my buddie found it underneath a dried up beaver dam. but shot placement is what it is all about .
Old 04-16-2020, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I’ve come to find the 6mm ARC/6.5 Grendel/6 creedmoor/243 win/6.5 creed/7-08 win class of cartridges to be largely ideal for whitetail hunting with few to no concessions. Even hesitating to include the 7-08 and 6.5 creed into that category. Just feels like I’m doing something wrong if I need more than 100-120 grains of bullet and more than 30-40grn of powder just to kill a deer.

My first deer rifle of my own was a .30-06 almost 25 years ago, and I have taken a lot of deer with it and others over the years. I struggle to justify hauling it around any more - if I need 180grn+ of bullet, then I want more than just 60grn of powder. Equally, As much as I have enjoyed the 7mmRM over the years, if I’m burning that much powder, I typically want more performance downrange than is provided by 140-160grn bullets.

Horses for courses.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

My friend swears by the old ought 6. He has 4 of them and no other centerfires! I on the other hand have a bunch of different caliber rifles. I don't really need them but they aren't asking for anything to eat either. The only "magnum" I have is a 270 WSM only because it is a custom LH Winchester model 70 that I bought for a song. And for what its worth I may just sell it because I have many other rifles that will out shoot it all day long. But its just nice to have. Like I said earlier I have a fondness for my .45-70s. Maybe its nostalgia who knows. I do know the bear and deer I have shot at with one of them did not like it one bit.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

I had a friend comment on this thread, and noted that most of the respondents say,
you don,t need to worry much about the cartridge head stamp,
because in skilled hands they all work.
well he asked why would anyone want a larger magnum?
I suppose it instills a bit of confidence if you easily handle the weight and recoil,
and yes this is about an elk hunt not deer.
a larger magnum or larger caliber rifle may not be more lethal,
but it can give impressive results if you're a good shot,
and with proper shot placement, it tends to get the game's full attention.

heres a brief bit of info on a past hunt.

one old geezer that taught me to hunt , back in the early 1970s,
used a 257 Roberts in a pre 1964 Winchester, for decades.
he used to constantly joke about my 340 wby,
and how I used to have to carry several extra pounds of rifle weight,
when his Winchester was all that was needed.
he killed more than his share of deer and occasionally an elk.
I helped him drag or pack out several, over several decades.
on one occasion we were sitting on the edge of a clear-cut,
that had started to re-grow and there were lots of 3-5 foot tree-lings,
over several acres.
a legal 4x4 elk slowly entered the area we watched over,
the old geezer only had a deer license that year.
so I was sitting with my 340 wby using the bi-pod on a large fallen log,
with the crosshairs held on the area higher than, but just over the bull's heart,
and a bit behind his shoulder, I waited as he slowly advanced,
when it became obvious he was the only legal bull elk we had seen in days.
I estimated the range at about 170 yards.
when I fired, the elk dropped like a demolition on an older building.
he just dropped in place,
the older guy looked at me and said...
..damn , that was impressive
..I've never seen any elk convinced so fast that he was dead before.
most elk I shoot want to consider the matter,
think it over ...... maybe cover 40-50 yards.!
then conclude I was right!
kid that was impressive!
" that made my day "

Last edited by hardcastonly; 04-18-2020 at 07:17 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.