Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Quick opinions

Old 06-23-2017, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Quick opinions

Have opportunity to purchase a S&W semiauto .45 this evening at a very low cost. It was described to me as 1911 style, all black including grips, big and heavy. Any opinions on the S&W 1911s?
Old 06-23-2017, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

What's a "very low cost"?
Old 06-23-2017, 10:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I had an S&W 45-06 issued to me. I hated the trigger pull and turned it back in and carried my own gun. I had no problem qualifying with it, I just hated the trigger.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

If it is the SW1911 made 2006 or after I would completely agree with Oldtimr on this one. Those triggers are horrible. Unless you know a good guy for working on triggers I'd pass. Unless it's just a really really good deal and paying a smith for trigger work would still bring you in cheap over all cost. They are pretty accurate but I don't think I have ever felt a worse trigger on a 1911 style pistol and I have handled tons of them.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

It was going to be $200. But he decided not to sell it. So we had a few beers and BS'd for a bit. I'll just move on.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

200 would have been acceptable. They are an accurate pistol if you can get around the trigger. My dad was probably the biggest trigger snob to ever live. I guess I kind of inherited that. To me anyway, trigger control is pretty much the first requirement in accurate shooting in any discipline, be it rifle, handgun, or shotgun. If you don't like the feel of the trigger, you may be able to get around it but one shouldn't have to.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a S&W 5906 I use as a "truck gun", the trigger pull on it is very long. It takes forever to shoot even in single action.