Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

P 64

Old 11-20-2016, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes Forkhorn, I shot it this afternoon. I put a clip thru it with no issues--other then the rear sight needs to be moved over a tad. The dreaded recoil is not that bad, it does jump a little but does not hurt the hand. I do have the rubber grip sleeve over the stock grips, I am sure that helps some. It does give more to hold on to and this is a small pistol. I did not shoot it well as far as accuracy goes. When it came the rear sight was not centered so I wanted to see if it needed to be moved over, and it does. I will take it in tomorrow and let a gunsmith friend of mine do that, I do not want to try it myself and put a scratch on it. They are reported to be accurate little guns.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Jenks
8MM, this guy has some beautiful grips. I could not find how much they cost, I suspect that they are not cheap. I put a Hogue Handall grip sleeve over my stock grips. I read that the recoil on this little gun is "snappy" so I have a little more to hang on to. Thanks for the grip info, maybe later after I get used to the gun.

The price he lists for your Polish Radom 64 is $78.00, and then shipping from Budapest is on top of that. I think I paid about $85.00 to the door for my grips. It is pricey but they are great on my pistol.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to have to go with my present grip setup. The wood grips are beautiful but they are too expensive for me and I like the rubber grip sleeve that I have on the gun. The sight is now centered and it is good to go.

If you are into all steel guns or military guns and have use for a small pocket sized pistol these are great and can be had for around $250. Not bad for a useful piece of history. It is a poor man's PPK.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes Forkhorn, I shot it this afternoon. I put a clip thru it with no issues--

They are reported to be accurate little guns.

Good to hear. Reputation on them was good from everything I read, and I was pretty sure you'd get a good little shooter.

The Poles seem to have made good quality guns from the ones with which I'm familiar: their Mausers and Mosins and your P64.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am biased, Forkhorn. I am not into alloy and plastic in a firearm, I want all steel. I do not trust the alloys to be very forgiving and I want some weight in a firearm to reduce felt recoil. The P64 is just such a gun, the only plastic is in the grips. It weighs nearly 22 ounces empty and shoots a fairly potent round. At least, the Soviet block thought the 9X18 was good enough for military and police use for a number of years. These can be had in little used condition for under $300, not bad for a well machined and reliable all steel firearm. Mine is a 1974 vintage and was not carried or used enough to wear the bluing much at all, the bluing was still on the areas that the slide rubs on when cycled.

The negative--It is a good idea to do a spring swap. That ran $16 or so from Wolff. The little sights are like the 1911 military sights, just too small to be very handy. In a carry gun I prefer stainless. A blued gun is prone to rust if carried in hot summers and not well cared for. Some think that the recoil is a little harsh, but that can be helped with a rubber grip sleeve for about $10. Also, the 9X18 ammo is not as common as .380 ammo, but it is available and cheaper then .380.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also, the 9X18 ammo is not as common as .380 ammo, but it is available and cheaper then .380.
And IMO the 9 X 18 is a superior round, ... not by much, but it is measurable. If you hand load and have a fully steel pistol, like the P-64 or the CZ 82 you can beat/surpass the 380 by an amount that is worth the time.

Last edited by 8mm/06; 11-25-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't reload, 8MM and I really don't shoot very much, just a few every now and then. I will be staying with the store-bought ammo. So far I have been shooting the Brown Bear 94 grain FMJ. I have a Russian made Makarov in .380 and from what I have read the 9X18 is a tad more powerful. Both are a long way from being as powerful as the 9MM Parabellum.