Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

My 88

Old 11-02-2016, 02:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default My 88

I put a Konus 2.5-10X scope on the Win. 88 I bought a month or so ago. I had a bunch of Hornady 165 BTSPs loaded up that didn't shoot quite well enough out of my AR-10. But holy mackerel do they shoot out of that 88!
I was lucky with the scope in that the first 2 shots at 25 yards were touching and not far off the bull. I made a scope adjustment and verified POI. Then taking the target out to 100 yards and a couple tweaks with the scope had me 1" high over the bull. Groups were right around the MOA size and the scope is super clear. I love that center dot. At 10x it only covers about 1/4 of the 1" bull making for precise aiming. Well as precise as one could get with the trigger on the 88. Boy is that heavy!
Because the rifle was shooting so good and I was having fun shooting it I noticed that the rifle doesn't like its barrel to get too hot. When it does, the POI drifts to the right a bit. But after letting her cool down she puts them right back to where I had it zeroed.
All in all its a sweet rifle except for the trigger I'm guessing at 10-12 lbs. It makes the trigger on a 760 feel like a match trigger!
Old 11-02-2016, 03:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have an 88 in .308 my wife got me for Christmas the first year we were married. The only thing I have ever shot out of it is Remington corelokt 150 grn ammo and it has laid a whole lot of deer low DRN. The only problem with the 88s is that stiff trigger pull. I had mine worked on and it improved a little bit but not where I would like it. Back before the guy who owner Red Jacket gun shop got busted for child abuse I contacted them to see if they had a solution. The answer I got was no. I still love the gun and will keep it till I croak.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's one of the few rifles made by Winchester that I haven't ever owned or even shot before. I've always heard "if you can get used to the damn trigger it's a tack driving machine". Being a bit, (okay a really BIG bit) of a trigger snob, that always threw me off them because I have heard there pretty much is no fix for it. Was a design flaw in the trigger mechanism. Some say a good stone and polish will lighten it up some but will make it mushy and creepy.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

I'm a savage 99 guy... but when I eventually find a deal on an 88 it'll be in the safe.
-Jake
Old 11-03-2016, 02:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

My dad had a Model 88 in 284, ugly recoil from that thing. Brother owns it now and has tamed the recoil some with reloading for it and a limbsaver.

Any way John Wootters once wrote an article about fixing the trigger on a Model 88 but unfortunately I lost it.

Think maybe was in a old issue of Rifle

Al
Old 11-03-2016, 09:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
My dad had a Model 88 in 284, ugly recoil from that thing. Brother owns it now and has tamed the recoil some with reloading for it and a limbsaver.
Al
My uncle had the same rifle. I didn't know he was selling it at the time but he traded it in on a Savage 110 left hand in .270 Win. If I'd had known it that rifle would be in my possession. They're worth a small fortune now. The .284 and the .358.
I could have bought an entire set of 88s for $7000 a couple years ago from my local gun shop.