Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger #1B

Old 10-22-2003, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ruger #1B

I have a chance to buy one for $500 that has been shot about 20 times from a bench only, it' s a 25.06 with a 24" barrel. I had an H&R single once that i wasn' t impressed with at all but i have to say this Ruger' s a beautiful gun and looks like it' s well built but i know very little about these single shots other than the H&R i had and what i' ve heard about the Encore which have been both good and bad. How solid would the scope mount with the slide rail and dovetail design on this gun? What about accuracy, are they known to be accurate or do they need work? Also can these single shots be bedded with the barrel floated and have trigger work done on them? One last question, what about $500, is that a fair price? Anyone here have a Ruger #1 that can give me some feedback positive or negative? Thanks!
Old 10-22-2003, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ruger #1B

Not sure which model you have, I thought the 25-06' s had a 26" barrel (1B) ...I have experience with 2 of them a 280 rem(1B)(26" barrel) and a 1S 45/70(24" barrel) ...the 45/70 has the better trigger and wood but both are super shooters from the factory even though the 280 has a close to 5lb trigger which should be worked on but have not got around to it... Seems like someone else here had bought a 25-06 #1 a few months back and it shot extremely well. 500 dollars is right in line for that gun and the new ones sell in the high sixes and it is tough to find one used in good condition at a gun show for much less than six hundred. Triggers can be worked on and there are a number of gunsmiths that will do it...Rest assured with the scope mount systems...RUger probably makes the strongest ring system in the world... If you have a very early model it is as close to custom as you can get and the more recent models in the last 7 or so years have excellent barrels. You' ll probably hear a lot of BS about Ruger this and that from some disgruntled individuals here but pay them no heed. If the gun doesn' t shoot well don' t screw with it send it back to Ruger and explain it in a letter...they have a real Customer Service Department with Humans that answer the phone(truly amazing).
Old 10-23-2003, 12:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mykey the B-1 comes with a 26" barrel and the 24" barrel was on the 1-V . My partner has the 25-06 B-1 and it took a bit of work to get it to shoot right . We also have a 243 win RS-1 and a 6MM Rem B-1 and they are both tack drivers so you just never know .Its like any other gun some are good and some are not so good . The list on the B-1 nib is around $700 and the RS-1 is $800 . The used prices run from $400 to $550 here so the price doesn' t sound bad . We bought them at a estate auction and $450 was the most we paid for one ,but that is below dealer costs . They were all Nib.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

oldelkhunter, halcon..thanks for the replys. Halcon your right the rifle is a 1V with a 24" barrel. Oldelkhunter thanks for the assurance on the scope mounting i was a little concerned about that. According to the owner the gun has been shot less than 20 times and from a bench only and has never been in the woods. From the looks of it i believe him because it looks brand new and it' s a beautiful gun. I know several guys who have dealt with him and they said he is straight up so i' m not worried about dealing with him. If it will shoot anything like it looks it will be a shooter no doubt. I think i' ll go for it and who knows i may even be able to get the guy down a few more dollars. Again thanks!
Old 10-23-2003, 07:26 AM

I have a 1B in 7MM. Gun shoots fine, but feels a little heavy for me. Does a scope come with it? If not, make sure your rings are high enough to allow scope clearance. I had to use high mounts (not see thru' s) in order for it to properly fit and to be able to eject or reload.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:43 AM

MYKEY

MAYBE A LITTLE LATE BUT I TOO HAVE A RUGER #1-B IN ORIGINALLY A 7MM BUT RECHAMBERED TO 7MM-STW. I LOVE IT. A REAL ACCURATE WEAPON WHICH HAS TAKEN SEVERAL DEER SIZED ANIMALS AT 400 YARDS. TRIGGER WAS WORKED ON BY COMPETENT GUNSMITH AND IS A CLEAN/CRISP 2 LBS. I TOO HAD A SCOPE CLEARANCE PROBLEM AS RINGS SUPPLIED BY RUGER W/ GUN
WERE LOWS AND I NEEDED A MEDIUM RING. PURCHASED MINE AT GANDER MOUNTAIN WHICH HAD ORIGINAL RUGER RINGS. I MOUNTED A BURRIS 4X-16X ON RIFLE AND IT HAS SERVED ME WELL.

PERHAPS YOU ALREADY BOUGHT RIFLE---IF SO ENJOY, $500 IS GOOD PRICE FOR CONDITION YOU DESCRIBE! [8D]
Old 11-09-2003, 04:32 PM

I have had several #1 Rugers and currently I own a Tropical model 1H, in 375 H&H Mag. I have had the barrel trimmed down in diameter to lessen the weight and I have restocked it with a fine peice of fancy walnut. I use it for deer or elk with 235 gr and 270 gr respectively. The Ruger #1s have always been my favorite since they came out but one thing I might mention to you that I have seen on all #1s that use handloaded ammo, the breech block tends to flex a very small amount each time it is fired and the result of this due to the design of falling block single shots is that the head of the brass will flex ever so slightly but in time after reloading the same case the head will separate from the case. you can watch for this by looking for a small fracture lines to appear just above the belt if it is a belted case or just above the rim where the brass is solid. I usually throw them out after I have loaded it 6 times but always inspect each case before I prime it.