Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Century WASR AK-47

Old 04-01-2016, 08:40 AM
Spike

Default Century WASR AK-47

Let's talk about the Century Arms WASR series. They've gotten a lot of rap for their low quality, and if you look at their earlier rifles they deserve it. However, since about 2010, they've changed a lot and have gone on to become fine rifles, especially in the last couple of years. I mean, you still want to only buy a WASR that you get to personally inspect, but I feel like this is a good rule for guns in general. I never buy online for that reason. Has anybody else had any experiences - good or bad - with recent manufacture WASRs?
Old 04-01-2016, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

From everything I've seen their quality improved over the last couple years. However, there are better options available. As you said, if you can personally look it over before buying you can eliminate allot of the complaints on them.
-Jake
Old 04-01-2016, 11:26 AM
Spike

Oh, there are certainly much better options available. For example, even the worst of Arsenal's offerings will offer much better fit and finish than a Century AK. With that said, however, I challenge you to find another chrome lined barrel in the WASR's price range. If you're looking for a low maintenance truck gun, it just can't be beat.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

I bought a WASR 10+ years ago. Went down to a local shop that had a pile of em. Asked him to take out about 5. I inspected each, went home with the best one. A couple 1000 rounds through it, zero issues. Relatively accurate even with the crappy sites. Problems common with early WASRs were canted sites, canted gas systems, oversized mag wells and trigger slap. Mine has none of these issues but many apparently did. If the crap hit the fan tonight and I had to "bug out", I'd be leaving behind the ar's and grabbing the WASR. Sure, it's not as accurate or pretty as an ar but it's gone bang and jammed another in the tube every time I've ever pulled the trigger.