Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 New .243 wssm anyone have one? >

New .243 wssm anyone have one?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

New .243 wssm anyone have one?

Old 10-19-2003, 11:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default New .243 wssm anyone have one?

Anyone have one??.....how do they shoot...looks like a nice Deer/ varmit rifle
Old 10-20-2003, 07:02 PM

Default RE: New .243 wssm anyone have one?

I have use it some years ago and I think that its to small for deer... I shoot with this foxs and beavers...
Old 10-23-2003, 08:44 PM

no gerilja he is talking about the new short mag from winchester. the .243 winchester super short magnum. it should perform about the same as a standard .243 but should have less recoil and the gun chambered for it will most likely be lighter in weight compared to the standard.
joe
Old 10-24-2003, 07:39 PM

Guys its considerably hotter than a standard 243 Win. About 200-250fps hotter. Its more kin to the 240 Weatherby with that kind of velocity. The gun is an absolute DREAM, yes its a short action that has been shortened another .5" and the gun feels like an extension of your arm. I was toyin with a 223 WSSM (Abolt Stalker) the other day and decided, " YEP, thats the rifle my kids will learn how to deerhunt with" (I naturally mean the 243 WSSM not the 223 shortie). The cases are hilarious looking, they look to be as big around as they are long. My only hesitation is that for right now, only Winchester is making loads for the 243 WSSM in crappy bullets. If in the future they release a 90-100grain Failsafe in Winchester Supreme I' m " all-over it" . If not, looks like I better dust off all my reloadin equipment...

RA
Old 10-26-2003, 01:48 AM

What on earth would make you think the .243 Super Short Magnum would be lighter, recoil less, or perform the same as a standard .243?

I' m with Red - short, light gun with more pop than your grandad' s .243. I' ve heard good things.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:58 AM

the action on the gun will be smaller and therefore will be chambered in a lighter short action rifle, so there' s the weight. it uses less powder and yet it will compare to the weatherby rounds because the powder burns more efficiently in the shorter fatter case. thats what on earth would make me think that.
joe
Old 10-26-2003, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

" If" it produces 200fps more velocity than a 243 win( and that is a big if )and the rifle weight is the same or less than the 243win the recoil will be more than the 243win not less.Are they building a special action for the wssm or are they just chambering it in the existing short action?If it is being chambered in the existing short action(which is likely due to cost factors) the wssm rifles will be no lighter than the 243win
Old 10-26-2003, 08:22 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-26-2003, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Otis-Do both browning and winchester each have a new shorter action.I was looking at the browning data sheet and the wssm' s are only 3 ounces lighter than the 243 and that is with the shorter 21" barrel.The shorter barrel will account for most of if not all of that 3 ounces.Irreguardless if the 243 wssm does produce the extra 200fps, the recoil of the 243 wssm will be more than the 243 and with the shorter barrel and increased velocity the muzzle blast will be more than the 243 as well.Winchester and browning did a good job of misleading advertising(and some outright lying) with the first wsms and did fool some people into believing that the 7mmwsm and 300wsm would produce more velocity and less recoil than the 7mmremmag and 300 win mag but they could not fool the chronograph.Loaded to standard pressure the 7mm and 300 belted magnums still produce slightly more velocity than the 7mm and 300wsm' s.Due to the lighter weight of the wsm rifles they actually produce felt recoil comparable to the belted magnums.I have not used the new wssms yet myself but based on the original claims made by winchester and browning about the original wsm' s,I would not be suprised if the new wssm' s fail to live up to the claims being made as well.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:39 PM

stubb the action IS a shortened " shortaction" , but it' s only shortened by .5" . Combine that with the 21" barrel and perhaps that is your true 3 ounces. I just know how the gun feels. The overall package is just awesome. The gun I have been toying with is a composite Abolt (synth/black steel) and is a 223 WSSM. I have held them together with both the Model 7 youth (wood/black steel) and 700 ADL Youth (composite/black steel). It has it allover the ADL, by more than a pound. Weight wise its not just tremendously lighter than the 7 Youth, but again its just " feels" good. Of course being a " mag" doesnt hurt either!!!

Just " farts n giggles"
RA

Quick Reply: New .243 wssm anyone have one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.