Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Model 70 Featherweight

Old 02-07-2015, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Model 70 Featherweight

I just picked up a newest production Featherweight chambered in 30-06 Springfield - assembled in Portugal. It will be a while before I can get to the range for some load development but there are some early impressions.

The fit of wood to metal is fair at best but the metal finish looks well done. My other newer Winchesters are a bit better in the wood to metal department, and they are all better than the ones that I have handled that were made in the old factory. The wood is straight grain and very plain. I do like the new trigger.

The Featherweight name will always be somewhat of a mystery to me as it weighs just a bit more than eight pounds with a VX3 2.5x8 on top.

My other newer Model 70 rifles are more accurate than any older Winchesters that I have ever shot - much better than the beloved old pre-64 models. I have had a lot of Winchesters and although they were not the most accurate rifles that I have owned they are still very good hunting rifles.

I am not sure if the relatively high price is justified for the Featherweight or the Standard models although I think my Safari Express was a good buy.

All together it should be a nice little rifle. I will wring it out on the range this spring sometime and post the results.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

Are all model 70.s made in Portugal?I thought all bolt action Winnies were made in America.S.Carolina to be specific.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Currently they are assembled in Portugal and imported into the USA by Browning Arms Co. I believe that they are made with parts produced by FN (in SC) which are shipped to Portugal for assembly.

This is a fairly recent development. I think this has been the procedure for the past year or so. Before that they were totally produced and assembled by FN in SC. I guess FN could not keep up with the demand. New Model 70 rifles have been somewhat scarce for a while.

It is odd to see the "Imported by BACO, Inc., Morgan, Utah - Made in Portugal by Browning Viana" stamp on a Model 70.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im under the assumption the entire rifle is manufactured in Portugal.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is hard to say where the parts are produced with any confidence. FN owns Browning and Winchester. Originally I read that the parts would be produced on the FN machinery already set up in SC. That could have easily changed.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tis a sad day when the 70 isn't fully 100% American made.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sad indeed.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

Sadly it,s goin to stop me from buyin a new one which I always wanted to do.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Then save your $ and buy a Cooper! I have a model 54 Cooper chambered in "The Bob" and it's a wonderful package!
Old 02-10-2015, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GOOD OLE BOY
Sadly it,s goin to stop me from buyin a new one which I always wanted to do.
If you look around you should be able to find one that was made in SC (Gunbroker, etc.). There have always been a few for sale on these sites but the sellers knew that they were scarce and held out for some premium prices. Now that the newest ones are becoming available and Model 70 rifles are hitting the shelves again I believe more SC production rifles will start showing up for sale for smaller premiums. Guys that tried to sell them for premium prices during the shortage may just be more reasonable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.