Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger P345

Old 03-28-2014, 01:03 PM
Spike

Default Ruger P345

I have a ruger P345. Im looking for a holster that can be attached to the front strap of my back pack. Is there such a holster made?
Old 03-29-2014, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be surprised if there is a readily available holster that will mount to a vertical strap, but if you have a needle, thread, about 5" of 1" nylon strap, and an hour to kill, you could add PALS (MOLLE) webbing to your backpack strap and very easily find a MOLLE compatible holster that would fit a 345.

The only issue I'd look into would be positioning and retention. I wear pack straps pretty tightly, so a pistol on the front would either ride really high, or be canted and tucked under my arm at a kinda weird angle. A secure thumb-break would get my nod.

I have a couple mil-surp MOLLE compatible holsters that I think would be right up this alley, so again, all you'd need to do would be add 2 or 3 rows of PALS on the shoulder strap with a needle and thread and you'd be set.

OR, you could use 2-3 chicago screws (or rivets, or simply stitch the holster in place by hand). I'd personally go PALS/MOLLE, so I could easily remove and replace it, and it'd be as secure as anything out there. I'd also look at putting a spare mag pouch, or double mag pouch on the other side shoulder strap.

If you're not sure what PALS/MOLLE might be, think of the tactical vests with the rows of nylon straps running around them.

I kinda like that idea of mounting a pistol to the pack straps with MOLLE/PALS - probably gonna steal idea that for one of my backpacks.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:21 AM
Spike

I thought about rivets, but I think your idea of needle and thread would be best to start with. once I find the best spot I could use the rivets. I have never carried a hand gun before. Last year while walking into my Elk hunting blind I encountered a very aggressive Black bear. It was in a thick stand of scrub oaks and in the dark. I had a head lamp on and couldnt see all that great. The bear mad a couple bluff charges and was making a lot of huffing and teeth popping sounds. I felt kind of helpless with just my bow..im not sure if I got between a sow and her cubs or what, but It was a hair raising experience. Im not afraid of Black Bears, but I now have a differnt outlook on them.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

A needle and thread to sew on some nylon webbing and install your own PALS loops would be about as straight forward as any sewing job can get. Depending on the quality of your pack, you might consider adding a reinforcing strap of nylon down the length of the shoulder strap on top while you're at it.

I bought a MOLLE compatible holster through the local mil-surp store a few weeks ago, factory model, not mil-surp, for $29. It uses 2 adjacent PALS slots and would require 3 rows. Pretty much ideal width and length for secure fixture to a backpack strap. Nearly identical to the Mil-surp versions that can be had for around $15. I paid the upcharge for the factory model to get plain coyote color.