Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger M77

Old 09-22-2003, 06:59 PM

Default Ruger M77

Thinking about getting a M77 in 7mm or 300mag. Anyone able to give me some +/- feedback. It will be after this season is over. Just bought a Rem 308 back in March. Hunting with it this year. But want something with longer range effect.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:23 AM

Default RE: Ruger M77

Whatcha gonna use it for Smitty? If deer or pronghorn is the only thing on the agenda, your 308 will do just fine. After all, it' s a 1000 yard sniper round. But if you want to hunt elk and larger game, I' d go with one of the 300 magnums out there. Either the Win Mag or the WSM. I don' t think the RUM is all that great a round and it' s expensive.

The Ruger is a fine weapon, but their trigger' s need some serious attention. If it were me, I' d look into a Tikka in 300 WSM or 300 Win Mag.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I doubt that you will be disappointed with a M77 as long as your caliber of choice matches your hunting needs. I have had two Rugers, 1977 .270 and 1985 .257 Roberts. I still have the .270 and it shoots like a dream. Almost any grain bullet from 100-150 will hit in a very tight group (rare to have three shots not covered by a quarter) If it doesn' t hit the target it is my fault not the gun. Had a 3lb. trigger installed. As I understand Ruger just started making their own barrels again after having someone else make them in the late 80' s and 90' s. This fact alone is supposed to increase their accuracy back to pre 80 standards. I think the Tika, or anything else would be good as well. Lots of good guns on the market today.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Ruger M-77' s are nice rifles.I have one in 7mm Rem Mag. It lays them low. I bought one in 300 Win Mag a couple months ago but haven' t taken it out yet.One gripe I have about the Ruger' s are the heavy triggers.Except for that I think they are a fine rifle.My experience with Ruger' s Customer Service is second to none.To me that means allot.Buy a Ruger and plan on having the trigger reworked.I think you' ll be more then satisfied with them. One thing to remember they aren' t a target rifle. The accuracy is more then sufficent for hunting situations.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 09-23-2003, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Ruger is a fine weapon, but their trigger' s need some serious attention. If it were me, I' d look into a Tikka in 300 WSM or 300 Win Mag.
Yes the trigger needs adjustment but so do the triggers on any American made rifle and some foreign ones also. Last time I was in Bass Pro the salesman behind the counter handed me a T3 ...nice bolt and trigger but tooooooo much plastic. The price at the time was 499 for it the Ruger 77 all weather was 469. Last triiger job my gunsmith did cost me 35 dollars for the ruger and no I didn' t buy a Timney. I have had more 77' s than anyone except Ruger Redhawk and every last one was a shooter and was dead reliable. As far as caliber goes i have hunted with pretty much all the 300 mags except the 300 rum including the 300 wsm and have yet to notice one iota of killing difference between them and a 7 Rem mag... Don' t waste your time with one and make it easy on your shoulder. If you really want to step up from a 7 mag you go 338......
Old 09-24-2003, 01:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had more 77' s than anyone except Ruger Redhawk

Oldelkhunter, I take that as a compliment.. I have a couple,well maybe a few LOL.There will never be enough.I prefer the " All Weather" Rugers
I must admit the Tikka " Whitetal Hunter" has given me second thoughts.They are a high quality rifle at reasonable prices.Their triggers are adjustable not like the Ruger' s triggers.Another thing I like about the Rugers is the scope mounting system.Rings are standard equipment.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 09-24-2003, 09:35 AM

I have a couple,well maybe a few LOL.There will never be enough

Well at least the last part was completely true!
Old 09-24-2003, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own a old Ruger M-77 chambered in 300-win mag. The model I have has the tang safety. The shop I bought it at 20 + years ago set my trigger at 3-pounds. My 300 will put a good group on paper with just about any factory ammo. I highly recommend Ruger rifles to anyone in the market for a good solid firearm.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: soarkrebel

I have a couple,well maybe a few LOL.There will never be enough

Well at least the last part was completely true!

Soark, Good to see you back Ol' e Cyber Buddy,I guess the wife let you have a day off.No matter what toys a person likes or wants there will never be enough.You like your Remingtons and I like my Rugers. That' s what makes the world go around.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 09-25-2003, 08:51 AM

I was punishing myself ruger. working graves is rough!

Quick Reply: Ruger M77

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.