Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

H&r ush

Old 10-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default H&r ush

Earlier this year I purchased a H&R USH in 20 ga. & have spent considerable time (& money) trying to dialing it in, (I am starting to get close) I was (& am) very surprised at how slug specific this gun is!!! I have experimented with many different brands of slugs, & have, so far, settled on Remington Accu Tips, (2 3/4) it is really rewarding when it all starts to come together. I am very impressed with this gun!!, I have limited my shooting to 50 and then to 100 yds. & am looking forward to trying some 3" shells. Anyone have any experience with the 3" ??

This gun is a shooter!!!

On the way home I had a close encounter of the "Eagle" kind, it was flying down the opposite lane, I had the camera on the seat & just pulled it up and hit the shutter, I caught a pic, not a good picture but a picture

Last edited by DocD; 10-05-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also have the same shotgun using the same ammo but in 3", you really won't see a big difference between the 2-3/4" or the 3"
Old 10-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

We have more than a few USHs

My son shoots a 20 using Brenneke 3" mags. He's a crack shot and can make one ragged hole with a few shots at 100 yards.

Never had any issue sighting them in. I just set it in a rest with action open and adjust the scope to what I see thru the barrel. Then it's just a matter of a little tweaking and bingo!

We love our USHs!
Old 10-07-2012, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

Try Lightfields...that's what both of mine like. 12 and 20 gauge. 2.75 version...
Old 10-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd call that dialed in ! With groups like this why try a 3"? Well, maybe for the wee bit of increase in muzzle velocity .... but tha'd be about it.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by batchief909
Try Lightfields...that's what both of mine like. 12 and 20 gauge. 2.75 version...
Mine likes the Lightfields as well, but I've heard conflicting reports on their performance on deer. One thing is for certain it doesn't like accutips, they don't group worth a $%^& out of mine. I'm going to try the copper solids, federal classic sabots, and maybe the brennekes tomorrow to see how they group.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:24 AM
Spike

I have had the same gun now for 4 years with the Nikon Slug Hunter Scope, I have tried just about every slug on the market I have the best groups with Winchester Supreme Elite
Dual Bond 2 3/4 have killed deer at 175- 200 yds. I can't get the same groups with the 3 inch for some reason the 2 3/4 shoots better. I used to lose deer with the lightfields, and remingtons, but have not lost one yet with the dual bonds.
Attached Thumbnails H&r ush-dscn3592.jpg  
Old 11-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

1dt, that is a nice deer!, yes, the H&R makes a darn good rifle, I used mine this year for the Mn deer season & wasn't disappointed.
neither of these were very long shots (about 50/60 yds?) one shot kills. I couldn't be Happier. I am going to take what uncle Matt said & try some of those Brenneke's, I like it so much I am thinking of ordering one of those fancy Thumb-hole stocks, ( can anyone post pictures of theirs?)

Not the biggest deer I have ever taken, but they might be the tastiest!! Doc

Old 11-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by DocD
1dt, that is a nice deer!, yes, the H&R makes a darn good rifle, I used mine this year for the Mn deer season & wasn't disappointed.
neither of these were very long shots (about 50/60 yds?) one shot kills. I couldn't be Happier. I am going to take what uncle Matt said & try some of those Brenneke's, I like it so much I am thinking of ordering one of those fancy Thumb-hole stocks, ( can anyone post pictures of theirs?)

Not the biggest deer I have ever taken, but they might be the tastiest!! Doc

Nice deer! I've been tossing around a thumbhole for mine too. Any idea where to order them? My google-foo isn't strong and I can't find a decent deal.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by anymeansneccesary
Nice deer! I've been tossing around a thumbhole for mine too. Any idea where to order them? My google-foo isn't strong and I can't find a decent deal.
I found them here, http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/NEF-or...ocks-s/204.htm