Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

weatherby vanguard

Old 10-21-2003, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: weatherby vanguard

My .300 Weatherby Magnum Vanguard is by far the best rifle I have ever shot. Everyone says it' s not a Weatherby, but it is. It may be built else where but it' s built to Weatherby' s specs and covered under Weatherby' s warranty and garuntees. Weatherby would not put their name on the rifle if it wasn' t up to their standards.

Also, I shoot 1 1/2" to 2" groups at 300+ yards with mine. How many other rifles can say they do that? As of right now I have a Swift 4-14x50mm scope on it. I am taking it off next week and mounting a Sightron Tactical SII 4-16x42mm /w a Mil Dot reticle.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:36 AM

Sounds like one of the Walmart guns , a weatherby name but bult by someone else to keep the price down,but they do shoot good, but remember it not a true Weatherby!!
Old 10-21-2003, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

If my memory serves me right, at one time ALL Weatherby' s were made over-seas. The only difference between the " true" Weatherby' s (made in the USA) today is that they are all custom made. Go to Weatherby.com. " True" Weatherby' s are just custom from the wood, checkering, barrel length, etc. and you can not touch one for under $1,500.00. The Vanguard line are all pretty much a stock or standard Weatherby. They have the same basic features of the Weatherby Mark V line but not all of the luxery' s. The actions, barrels, etc. are the same as the American Made Weatherby' s. Weatherby specializes in custom rifles so they do not have time to " mass produce" rifles for Wal-Mart (which are under contract) so they have someone else (japan) do it for them under their specifications. Just because they are made over-seas does not mean the quality of the rifle is less and just because Wal-Mart sells them doesn' t mean the quality is less. Weatherby would not put their name on them if they were junk, remember...Weatherby has a name to uphold. So next time do some research before you lable firearms sold by Wal-Mart as " less quality" .
Old 10-21-2003, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

All Weatherbys with the exception of their shotguns and the private label(Vanguard) are US made...the lightweight MK V' s are made in a separate facility than the regular MKV' s which are made in Maine. The Howa made Vanguard is a great dollar value and a very good shooting rifle. For those having a problem with the trigger and not getting satisfaction from their " Gunsmiths" Timney makes a replacement trigger for it that should work real well.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:20 PM

at one time ALL Weatherby' s were made over-seas
At one time, their barrels were made overseas. And usually by a variety of makers. They had a lot of problems from that experience and eventually started making the barrels themselves.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Camocop-The vanguards that I have seen recently in the stores do not have mark v actions.They have the howa action which is very different.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

THey also produce all their barrels in house with the exception of the lightweight MKv' s which use Krieger Criterion barrels. The Vanguard is entirely made in Japan by HOwa....
Old 10-22-2003, 03:48 PM

I bought a Weatherby Vanguard in 30.06 and my buddy bought a 7mm. We are going to sight them in next week. I also bought hornady 150gr SST LM ammo for it. Hopefully it will do a good job for me. It will be my first time to hunt with a rifle.
Old 10-25-2003, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

To all whom are interested in the Weatherby Vanguard rifles. Go to " www.chuckhawks.com " . This man has forgotton more about firearms than any one of us will ever know. Read his documentary and it will set you straight in reference to the Vanguard.
Old 10-25-2003, 01:54 PM

Link didn' t work.

Quick Reply: weatherby vanguard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.