Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

T/c icon

Old 06-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Spike

Default T/c icon

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/icon.php

Anyone familiar with these rifles? Good, bad or otherwise. 12 year old wants a new gun. He's currently shooting 7mm08 and I was thinking of getting him another 08 or 308. He doesn't want synthetic.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've handled them but never shot one. I hear mostly good stuff tho. My complaints were: 1) kind of heavy 2) The word ICON in huge lettering on the side of the receiver (yes petty, but it bothered me). How about a Ruger?
Old 06-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bugsNbows
I've handled them but never shot one. I hear mostly good stuff tho. My complaints were: 1) kind of heavy 2) The word ICON in huge lettering on the side of the receiver (yes petty, but it bothered me). How about a Ruger?
Icon on the wood?? Going to a local dealer to handle some guns...whichever ones they have in stock. Just to see what fits him best

Tikka
Browning
Ruger
TC

Last edited by mbecnel; 06-07-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not on the wood...on the metal receiver side. Very fugly IMO.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:40 AM
Dominant Buck

I know one person that purchased a T/C Icon Precision Hunter (I am sure he called it) with the laminate stock in a .308 caliber. He mounted a VII Leupold scope on it (I forget the magnification). He was telling me that from a bench rest, he could shoot some amazing groups out to 200 yards. I think he said it holds three or four rounds and at first this kind of surprised me, but then I thought of my Ruger M77 in 7mm mag and realized, I seldom shot more then once. So I guess that was fine. He did say the stock is heavy. But it soaks up recoil. I never got to handle it or shoot it. It was just a conversation we had about guns at a party, and he'd mentioned his new rifle.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:29 AM
Spike

Nice rifles. A bolt much lighter and good wood, too. But the T/see is nice as wel.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mbecnel
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/icon.php

Anyone familiar with these rifles? Good, bad or otherwise. 12 year old wants a new gun. He's currently shooting 7mm08 and I was thinking of getting him another 08 or 308. He doesn't want synthetic.

Got an Icon Weathershield(synthetic stock) in 308 Winchester. Very accurate rifle and easy to shoot. I bought mine when a local shop had them on sale and TC had a $150 rebate on them. I have less than $425 out the door in the rifle. I mounted a Leupold Vari-Xii 3-9x40 in Warne vertical steel rings.

The first Icon I purchased had a problem ejecting fired cases. Contacted TC and they wanted the rifle back. Around 3 weeks later they sent me a brand new rifle, threw in an extra magazine and paid for shipping both ways.

I'm very happy with the rifle and would buy another in a heartbeat. I have not shot a wood stock version but have held a couple and they seem to have had very nice wood. I have been around several of the Weathershield Icons and all the owners were pleased with the rifles.

Here is a pic of the last group I shot with the rifle while experimenting with some factory Barnes Vor-TX(168 grain TTSX) ammo. Started off with a freshly cleaned bore and was a little concerned after the first shot but it settled down. Rifle shoots the cheap Federal 150 grain Powershoks very well too.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Spike

I have a 308 weathershield with the hogue molded stock. It is an awesome rifle. It groups great out to 200 yards. I love this rifle so much I am looking for another in 243 for my son when he is old enough.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Spike

I own one of the first originals in 308 ...sub 1" groups at 200 yards...buy it.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:37 PM
Spike

I have one in .300WM, amazing gun for the money. Been 1" or less with every load I've tried, excellent trigger, I like the design and fit, and the weather shield version I have has surprisingly little recoil given that its a 300 mag. An icon in a smaller chambering should be a real *****cat, and great for a young shooter to use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.