Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Model 70 Safari Express >

Model 70 Safari Express

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Model 70 Safari Express

Old 04-22-2012, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Model 70 Safari Express

I picked up A M70 SE in .375 H&H a short time ago, and after it's first 150 rounds I have formed a few opinions to share.

It is taken to the range each time with a Ruger Hawkeye African chambered in .375 Ruger as it's travel companion. I shoot each the same number of rounds, and try to figure out which of them I like the best.

The M70 has a good fit between the metal and wood and a fairly nice piece of walnut. The Ruger's wood is plain walnut, but has been replaced with a HS Precision stock. I like the M70 iron sights better in good light, and the Ruger's better in dim light. The M70 was harder to scope due to the length of the action and the LOP. The triggers on both rifles are acceptable for this type of rifle.

Both rifles shoot about the same 5 shot group size at 100 yards. Sometimes you get a smaller group, but the aggregate group size is somewhere around 1.25" with handloads (Nosler PT and Barnes TSX) and 1.50" with factory loads. Accuracy is quite good.

The M70 is factory bedded on both recoil lugs. The bedding is not the best, but it is OK. The Ruger requires a DIY bedding job as it is simply bedded in into the wood with no bedding compound. Feeding and ejection is flawless on both rifles.

The biggest difference between the two rifles (other than the chambering) is the size and weight. The scoped Ruger is a 9 pound load with the walnut stock, and 9.5 pounds with the HS stock. The scoped M70 is a full 10.5 pounds. The M70 is a pain to carry, but the weight and cartridge make recoil much less snappy than the more powerful Ruger. The Ruger is quicker to get on target for the first shot, but the M70 comes out of recoil better for the second.

I like both rifles and both cartridges, but only one can go with me to Africa this year. It is a toss-up!
Old 04-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

"The Ruger is quicker to get on target for the first shot,......." Uncle

The first shot is always the most important, and more often the window of opportunity is brief !

Enjoy yourself and good luck
Old 05-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Man I wish I had your problem. Deciding on which .375 to take to africa! I don't have any experience with hunting the dark continent nor do I know what type of game you are going for. But IMO, the 375 Ruger cartridge packs more punch than the .375 H&H and you said yourself that it gets on target quicker. The M70 is a nice gun and has a long heritage in Africa but you do handle the Ruger better. So that gets my nod.