Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag

Old 03-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Spike

Default Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag

An older friend of mine recently won a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag at a local gun bash, and although he was excited to win, he is getting older and doesn't feel that he would get good use out of this gun. He wants to sell it to me for $275. I have not yet seen this gun (he's bringing it over some time this week) but based on his description it looks like model number 63516 on Mossberg's website. Here is a link to the picture:

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossb.../NEW/63516.jpg

I've always been an avid whitetail hunter, but I've only been a part of turkey hunts a few times and would love to get into the sport. I've shot 3 1/2 inchers before out of my buddy's 835 that he recently purchased. I am 19 years old and a college football player, so I don't think that kick is going to sway me from making this purchase. Just wanted some feedback on the gun itself, pros & cons, the price, performance, durability, and anything else interesting before I make my decision on whether or not to purchase. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

seems like a good price but im not a fan of mossberg at all....................
Old 03-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a good gun, and a good price. I wouldn't hesitate.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the 835 deer/turkey combo in MO camo.It's a great gun for the money.IMO with the possible exception of coyote you never really need to use the 3 1/2" shells.I've taken a number of turkeys and coyotes with 2 3/4 and 3" shells along with a variety of small game and upland birds.It shoots great with the deer barrel but I haven't used it on them yet since I live in rifle country.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Spike

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. Bernie P, I have Mossberg 500 field/deer combo, but I too live in rifle country so I get little use out of the deer barrell as well. Also Bernie P, do you recommend any certain type of ammunition for the 835 that you find is best for hunting turkey? Thanks, and once again I appreciate the feedback.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

I too had just won a Mossberg 835 combo deer/turkey. I was wondering if people like the acccuracy they have gotten out of their deer barrels? I own a great deal of deer shotguns 2 H&R's 12 & 20ga,'s, and a Savage 220F. I was wondering if I should put a scope on it or not? I would hate not to use the slug barrel if I have one sitting there..
Old 03-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

great turkey gun, kicks like a mule, and I love mine.....I sold the slug barrel, I just use it as my turkey gun....great buy, get it !!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I to had the 500 with the 28"/3 chokes and smooth bore slug barrels.With this one I took turkeys for years with the full choke and both Rem and Win 2 3/4", 1 1/4oz 4 shot reloads.With the 835 I use the Ulti full choke with the same Win load and Rem's hulls reloaded with size 6 shot 2 3/4 shells.I decided to try Win's factory 4 shot 3" turkey shells just to see how much better they might be.They do add a little reach and are the best I've tried but 90% of the time I doubt you'll need it.I haven't yet.
As far as the deer barrel goes I put Bushnell's Trophy RD on.I get great groups with all slugs I've tried including both Forster and sabot shells.Though I can tolerate it I hate hefty recoil so I put the second thickest pad KickEez makes on it.Reduced felt recoil big time.This pad increased length about 1/4" but still fits me well enough.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:09 AM
Spike

I have an 835 ulti mag that I bought new and have used for turkey hunting since 1992 with not one malfunction. This is using 3.5 inch Reminton ammo exclusively. What you get with the 3.5's is a little more reach and I like to have it if I need it. I highly recommend this gun and that is a great price. Snatch it up!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:18 AM
Spike

I bought her last night! Thanks everyone for the replies. Now I just can't wait until April 28 when spring gobbler comes in PA!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.