Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Browning X-bolt Hunter

Old 05-02-2012, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

The weight of the gun does not determine the gun's accuracy. It does factor into felt recoil, which can factor into the shooter's ability to shoot accurately. Shooters vary greatly in their ability. So, if you are not a good shot to begin with, a light rifle will not do you any favors.

The real question is, can YOU handle the 7mm in a light rifle?
Old 05-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
The weight of the gun does not determine the gun's accuracy. It does factor into felt recoil, which can factor into the shooter's ability to shoot accurately. Shooters vary greatly in their ability. So, if you are not a good shot to begin with, a light rifle will not do you any favors.

The real question is, can YOU handle the 7mm in a light rifle?
I have always found that lightweight rifles were harder to hold steady when shooting without a solid rest.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 05-03-2012 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

UncleNorby has a good point there....if You get a Light-weight Rifle You can bet the felt recoil could be higher.I looked at a Savage Light Weight Hunter Rifle the other day... 5.5 lbs in a larger caliber and passed on it because I just knew it would harder to handle and not flinch!

I have heard a lot of Hunters brag on the standard .270 Caliber Rifles and that they were nice accurate guns with plenty of knock-down power....I opted for the 7mm-08 Savage in around 6.5 lbs model 11 GCNS Bolt-action.It has less recoil and is a good accurate Rifle that can handle shots further out even tho most of my ranges in heavy timber are from 50,75-125 yards at most!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
I have always found that lightweight rifles were harder to hold steady when shooting without a solid rest.

True, but that is a shooter issue and not a gun issue.

If the ammo used is producing consistent velocities, you'll have to get out there quite a ways before you'll see the difference in accuracy that can be attributed to a light rifle versus a heavy rifle.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
True, but that is a shooter issue and not a gun issue.

If the ammo used is producing consistent velocities, you'll have to get out there quite a ways before you'll see the difference in accuracy that can be attributed to a light rifle versus a heavy rifle.

A rifle with a heavy barrel is generally more accurate than a lighter weight rifle. Heavy barrels take longer to heat up when shooting. Lighter rifles have thinner barrels that heat up much faster, thus affecting accuracy(even as close as 100 yards).
Old 08-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you want the 7mm mag... You prob should get it... I have the browning a-bolt in stainless in 7mm mag with boss... Will put them in a dime at 100 yards... This gun is a true .5 MOA GUN
Old 08-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
A rifle with a heavy barrel is generally more accurate than a lighter weight rifle. Heavy barrels take longer to heat up when shooting. Lighter rifles have thinner barrels that heat up much faster, thus affecting accuracy(even as close as 100 yards).
Heating a barrel is a range issue, not really a hunting issue. My impression was that the OP's questions related to hunting accuracy.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

A cold barrel is a hunting issue................!!!

One of the main reasons for proper barrel break-in.

It's the minimalization of the POI with a cold barrel VS a warm barrel.