Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Which rifle?

Old 11-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Spike

Bigbulls, it is only my opinion, but I feel that the bolt should operate the same with the intermediate safety on or with it totally off (ready to fire). However your explanation on why there is difference makes perfect sense to me. That said, I’ve used my friends Ruger 77 which has a similar 3 position safety and his bolt operates exactly the same with the intermediate safety set or not.

To answer your other question. This was my first time out hunting using my M70 and I found what I thought was good spot. So there I stood waiting and watching. After a while, I decided to survey the map in my pocket and maybe move to better spot. Rather than put the rifle down to look at the map, I choose to put it over my shoulder, using the sling. I probably should have gone on full safety, no argument there. When I did so, the bolt lifted the rest of way and slid completely back, expelling the round. This is when I noticed how easy it was to lift the bolt with the intermediate safety set. I only used the gun at the range to set up the scope where I was loading one round at a time. I’d take one shot, open the bolt and I’d put the gun on the rack, to let it cool down. Then I’d use my other rifle while it cooled, so there was no need to use intermediate safety.

Obviously, I’m no bolt action rifle expert and that is why I purchased from what I thought was a reputable gun shop. If I was a rifle expert, I would have noticed this in the store and probably gone with the Browning X-Bolt instead For what it’s worth, the gun smith at the store agreed with my concerns, even if they are most likely unfounded. I’m sure, Winchester will agree with you Bigbulls, that there is nothing wrong with the bolt on my rifle.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bigbulls, it is only my opinion, but I feel that the bolt should operate the same with the intermediate safety on or with it totally off (ready to fire).
It doesn't.

That said, I’ve used my friends Ruger 77 which has a similar 3 position safety and his bolt operates exactly the same with the intermediate safety set or not.
His Ruger safety does not operate like a model 70. The safety on a Ruger does nothing more than block trigger movement. The ruger safety is on the tang of the rifle and simply rotates inside the receiver to block trigger movement and does not touch the ****ing piece inside the bolt body while the model 70's safety is located on the bolt and actually pulls the ****ing piece to the rear and completely separates it from the trigger. Take the Ruger out of the stock sometime and you can see how its safety operates in relation to the trigger.

I know it is different than the typical push button safeties like what is on Brownings, Remingtons, etc... and you're not use to it but, for what it's worth, the safety on the model 70 really is one of the absolute safest safeties ever designed on a bolt action rifle and is one of the most copied safeties by custom builders.

BTW, I wouldn't use that gunsmith that looked at your rifle if you should ever need work. There are probably as many model 70's on this planet as any other sporting rifle and for an actual gunsmith not know how one operates is scary for his customers.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Spike

Bigbulls, I really appreciate your input on this and concur with your comments about the gun smith. He should (and sadly…so should I) have known how it operates and sent me packing. As you can tell this is my first bolt action rifle and up until now all of my Deer hunting has been done with Remington 870 (with a rifled barrel) or with my 2 muzzleloaders, one of which shoots 54 cal patched round balls (that gun is really fun to shoot). I typically hunt in the forests in the Northeast where all of my shots are less than 100 yds. I wanted to expand my hunting territory so I bought a bolt action that would permit me to shoot much further. I feel much better, knowing that odds are that there in nothing wrong with the gun. Thanks for all your help!
Old 12-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Big Bulls is right about this one. The first time I ever noticed this on a M70 was while handling a friends. He has several in different calibers and as I was handling one I noticed this. I thought I'd broken something working the bolt, and then he explained to me what was going on, and proceeded to demonstrate this to me on several other M70's he has. It's completely normal for them.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

He should (and sadly…so should I) have known how it operates and sent me packing.
No, you are new to rifles and the model 70 so you are learning the in's and out's about them.

He, on the other hand, absolutely should know how one of the most popular rifles ever manufactured operates and should have taken the time to explain to you how it operates.

Once you get use to the rifle I think you will find that you will really like all that the model 70 offers in a rifle. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Spike

Thompson Center Icon. Exactly what you described you wanted and one excellent rifle.