Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
.45 Colt guys!!  Blackhawk or Redhawk??!! >

.45 Colt guys!! Blackhawk or Redhawk??!!

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

.45 Colt guys!! Blackhawk or Redhawk??!!

Old 01-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dig4gold
I think I've come up with a sollution. I'm gonna get the Redhawk, spend the extra, and never look back knowing I'd done the right thing. Then in a couple/three months, (and some penny pinching) go out and get a longer barelled Blackhawk!! Then I'll get back with y'all with my conclusion.
Excellent choice!

If you can, shoot some BHs before you buy one of them. Barrel length in these is quite an individual taste. I had a .44 Mag SBH with a 7.5" barrel that was good on the range, but I did not like to carry it on my hip (too bulky for me). Some guys like the 4 5/8", some the 5.5", and some like the longer tubes. Rugerforum.com is a good place to discuss everything related to Ruger handguns.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

How do you like your new Redhawk?
Old 01-30-2011, 03:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well son, if your're thinking about the Redhawk, why not get it in 460? Then you can shoot 460s, 454 Casulls, and 45 LCs in it.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

If I remember right, back when we shot alot of bowling pin matches, I liked a friends 5.5 redhawk better than my 7.5 Redhawk. I think it felt better during rapid fire. I wonder how the even shorter barrel your looking at feels and if it has the same controllabilty the 5.5 did. The single actions, under the same conditions, turned in much slower times by the average shooters. The expert SA shooters could outdue most of the average shooters with anything they used except maybe .22's. BUT, I've only met a few I could say that about. Most people struggle with the SA on rapid fire for quite a while before gaining smoothness and confidence. One of my favorite pistols though, is a .45 blackhawk 4 5/8 that Bill Oglesby worked over and put a .44 hammer on. So smooth, and points so nice.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a similar setup in .44. Neither are what I'd call "concealable" - even under a coat in a shoulder holster. However, since you used the "D" word, practicality sides with the Redhawk. While a SA is surely better than nothing, the DA wins out in the event a quick follow-up shot is needed.

I'll add though, it takes some practice to accurately unload a DA Redhawk. The .45 will still get your attention.

But, I'm glad I have both. I've used them deer hunting and they've both been fine at under 100 yards.