Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Mossberg Vs. Remington, the ongoing battle >

Mossberg Vs. Remington, the ongoing battle

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Mossberg Vs. Remington, the ongoing battle

Old 12-16-2010, 07:11 AM
Spike

My buddy has a Mossberg pump and i have a Remington 870 and 1100....to me my guns feel sturdier and better to shoot than his but his gun always seems to function as well as mine!
Old 12-17-2010, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

My 500 combo is about 20 years old. It cost about 225-250 then as I recall. It is pretty beat, but still functions flawlessly. It comes completely apart with the removal of one pin. There are about 5 parts, not including the trigger. I can clean everything and reassemble in about 5 minutes.

My buddy just used it in Ohio and shot a nice buck with the smoothbore/rifle sight barrel. I've shot deer, turkey, rabbit, a few ducks, grouse, woodc ock, pheasant, etc. with the barrels that came with the combo. I kill turkeys out to 35 yds easily with a newer accuchoke barrel using the standard full choke. Cheap and reliable, and you don't mind the inevitable nicks and dings. What else do you want for a hunting shotgun?

The same could probably be said about the 870. I have heard some bad things about recent 870 chambers being rough and ejection/jamming problems. There were some recent 500s that I just didn't care for the forestock design or the stock color in general.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:42 AM
Spike

I have, will, and continue to shoot both. Both are almost dead nuts similar for accuracy. Mossbergs that I got where just a tad bit cheaper ( in price ). I would not second guess either brand to bring hunting with me. I do notice the pump and slide are a bit rickety and rattle on the mossberg, but for the people who can't afford a more expensive pump shotgun, there is NOTHING wrong with mossberg. I also own Ithaca 37's, Browning BPS's ( both exceptionally fine guns ) As well as a slew of other (good) pump shotguns. All seem to shoot about the same (accuracy wise) I do however feel some are better made than others and some have better ( more thorough ) designs.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:36 PM
Spike

Thumbs up Detailed gun info

Check out this guys website - full of incredible photos and detailed gun info:
www.gunsumerreports.com
Old 01-01-2011, 03:33 AM
Typical Buck

Only thing I wish Remington 870 would change is to put their safety on top. I like mine. But I've always wanted to buy a Mossberg 835 the ones I've shoot that buddy's had worked just fine.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have an 870 (I think everyone does... ). My bro-in-law has a Mossberg. Occasionally we will switch when out skeet shooting at the range, just for kicks. I like the rear safety on the Mossberg, but, it just doesn't feel right to me. I don't know why... I guess it's just one of those things...
Old 01-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, mossberg is about the lowest quality shotgun available, and they definitely shouldnt cost 300$. They usually run about 199$ at walmart and gander mt. The grip is as thick and blocky as a tree trunk, the forend rattles somethin awful, and the trigger is sloppy as hell. Ive owned a couple, one was given to me, one I bought, I gave them away after I bought better stuff. I wouldnt ever own one again, at least not for anything except home defense. an 870, although not the best pump, is a far more solid weapon, the only thing a mossberg has over it, is its a bit lighter.
The only pump I now own is a old Ithaca 37 . I carried it around in the snow all morning today, it carries and shoulders like a dream! Its amazing how much better quality, guns made decades ago are ,compared to whats available now.

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 01-01-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well,both are fine shotguns IMO iv'e handled & shot both. Good things about the Mossberg 500,i like the top tang safety & the slide release right behind the trigger guard,and the Mossberg is a little lighter. Things i don't like about the 500,they just "feel" cheap made & the action rattles something terrible! Pros on the 870,more sturdier built and the just "fit" me better. Cons on the 870,the safety is right behind the trigger guard & the slide release is in front of the trigger guard. Now thats just my $0.02 but id prefer a Remington 870 Express but the Mossberg is a good shotgun too.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 Wingmasters built in 68 and 69. I can promise you if they still built the 870 with the detail that those have...this question would be a laugher... Sad what Remmy has came to...
Old 01-19-2011, 08:03 AM
Spike

I have the Remington 870, and actually prefer the safety on the rear of the trigger guard. As I bring the gun up to shoot, I push the safety with the center of my index finger. As the gun reaches my shoulder, the tip of my index finger reaches the trigger. After shooting, I lower the gun and push the safety back on. I have done it this way so many years that I do it without thinking about it.

I find that a tang safety is not likely to be placed back to the safe position without thinking about it, (at least for me).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.