Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

S&W M&P .40 or SD .40

Old 10-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default S&W M&P .40 or SD .40

I am looking to up-grade my concealed carry weapon. I currently carry a Ruger SP-101 hammerless .357. I love the gun, but i do want an auto. Mostly bucause it give me more option for carry than the
SP-101.

So, Do any of you have experience with either of these guns or both? I have held the M&P and like how the grip feel and how the sights line up for me. But i have not had a chance to handle the SD. I may bot like it at all, but i wanted to get some opinions.

Thanks for any info you can provide!
Old 10-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both the S&W and SD 40 are great conceal carry firearms. Check out the Walther PPS 40 before you purchase. Same grade or better in a smaller frame. Very comfortable for conceal carry.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

HAve you looked at the Glocks? Great carry weapon I have a glock 23 .40 and its extremely light, compact, and damn good shooting. Just another option.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Spike

Pope, I recommend the Sprindfield XDM 9mm or 40mm. I have the 9mm and it is a great concealment weapon. There is alot of information online.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go with what feels best for YOU regardless of what everyone else suggests. Most are going to simply suggest the one they have/use and may not even have any first-hand exp. with another. Consider manual of arms, design (hammer vs. striker). Look at holster options before buying as well and consider that your first choice for a holster probably won't be the last.
I have a M&P40 (inherited) and I'd say it's too large for most for a good concealed carry pistol. To each their own though as what works for one, might not for another.
I prefer my SP101 for a carry gun but also have a P7M8 and a P2000SK for that purpose available as well.

Another very worthwhile aspect to this would be to upgrade your training as well. Make it GOOD stuff not the basic thinly blanketed stuff most settle with as a minimum. Very few put as much into this aspect as they do the gun which is unfortunate. If you're serious it should be equal.

Last edited by Maine Shooter; 10-31-2010 at 05:25 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Maine Shooter
Another very worthwhile aspect to this would be to upgrade your training as well. Make it GOOD stuff not the basic thinly blanketed stuff most settle with as a minimum. Very few put as much into this aspect as they do the gun which is unfortunate. If you're serious it should be equal.
I agree. Continue your training, and keep up on your skills by practicing. I hope you never have to use a firearm for personal protection. If you do, it is likely you will be sued in civil court. Make sure your ammunition is made for personal protection. If it is not, the lawyers for the one shot will have a hay-day with that fact.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input guys. I have looked at all the models that you guys have mentioned. I really like the searching for the right one part of gun buying. So I handle everything I see. I would like to go to an auto mostly because of the holster options. As well as in my area .40 ammo is easier to find than .357/.38, don't ask me why, it just is. If i come across a good deal for a glock 23 i will snap it up because I really like my buddies 23. As far as my ammo, yes I only shoot PD ammo. Currently Federal Vital-Shock PD.