Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 You want what? Are you sure? >

You want what? Are you sure?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

You want what? Are you sure?

Old 06-20-2003, 12:43 AM

Default You want what? Are you sure?

Went up to Gander Mtn today and bought some powder. A guy comes up to the gun counter and ask for a " saddle gun" , the biggest bore you have, the clerk hands him a .480 Ruger win 94, the guy ask about a scope, he choose a 4x14x60 with see thru mounts[&:]. Seems to me he just made a good gun bad. The clerk who has made 4 trips to Africa and has hunted in Europe and all over North America tried to " coax" this guy in the right direction, but he didn' t want to listen to reason. Oh well to each their own.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: You want what? Are you sure?

At least the clerk tried to help this fellow.There are however some people that just refuse to be helped.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:23 AM

Out of curiousity, did the customer say what he was planning to hunt with this big bore?
Old 06-20-2003, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL My shoulder hurts just thinking about that one!
Old 06-20-2003, 12:52 PM

I didn' t hear what he was hunting only something about Alberta and packing up to some camp where he might have to make a quick shot, said something about bear protection.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

A 1X-4X or plain 20mm obj. 2.5X would have been a lot better, and junk the see-thru mounts!!
Old 07-01-2003, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

The 480 Ruger in a Wim M94 would be a pleasure to shoot, very mild recoil. I would opt for a Marlin Guide Gun chambered in either 450 Marlin or 45-70 with a good ghost ring appeture sight.

AA
Old 07-01-2003, 09:43 PM

*the bell hanging over the door in the gun shop tinkles*

FL/GA: Hi, I' d like to buy a 7mm Remington Magnum in the Remington Sendero.

Gun shop owner: Good choice! What kind of scope are you thinking of putting on it?

FL/GA: Scope?! Why would I want to spoil such a sweet-handling brush gun with a scope? No sir, all iron sights for me.

Gun shop owner: (falls dead)

FL/GA: (shrugs) Guess I' ll take my business elsewhere.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:12 PM

I kept a firearms license for about ten years, and if you run off all the hammer-headed ignoramuses that come in your place, you will reduce your sales by about 85%. There are way more people who buy guns than use them anyway. Keeps the manufacturers going. If a guy came in my shop and wanted a pellet rifle and a 30x unertl I would gladly let him have it. I see your point though, the gun buying public is full of ignorant ideas about what makes a rifle useful. If they would go out and start shooting them they would soon figure it out. Maybe this guy will do that. He might be back in six months to buy a varmint rifle to park under that high power scope and a ghost ring or something for his lever gun. Chances are his stuff will end up on the used rack next winter though.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:35 AM

The clerk at Gander Mtn did complete the sale and the gunsmith there mounted and bore sighted the scope. My point is not to run off a sale. It is however that some gun buyers really don' t understand what it is that they are doing. I bet we have all made bad purchases.[X(]