Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Replacing ML

Old 01-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Spike

Default Replacing ML

Leaning towards replacing my Ml with a Rossi combo 243/50 cal ML. What do youall think?
Old 01-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

What type of ML do you currently have?
Old 01-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Spike

A TC Thunder Hawk 50 cal.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

i was wondering if the scope stayed on, or if it came off with the barrels
Old 01-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't heard too many good things about the Rossi, and I, personally, would avoid it in favor of the H&R/NEF Handi-Rifle. I've heard that accuracy is spotty and the triggers really suck. However, this is, admittedly, second hand information. I'd suggest you find one and check it out for yourself.

Mike
Old 01-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WM Greening
Leaning towards replacing my Ml with a Rossi combo 243/50 cal ML. What do youall think?
I will tell you my experience(which is limited) with a Rossi .243
/.50 cal muzzleloader. A friend loaned me one for my 10 year old son the 3rd week of November. We had 2 light primer strikes on a 60 degree afternoon. I'm not sure if it was the ammo or the rifle.....it looked to me like it was over oiled.....after a thorough cleaning it has been fine, so I can only assume it was the oiling.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by driftrider
I haven't heard too many good things about the Rossi, and I, personally, would avoid it in favor of the H&R/NEF Handi-Rifle. I've heard that accuracy is spotty and the triggers really suck. However, this is, admittedly, second hand information. I'd suggest you find one and check it out for yourself.

Mike
A friend has a NEF Handi Rifle and that thing just doesn't seem that great. He has had one problem after another not to mention it just felt super cheap to me. I wouldn't pay $100 for one after seeing his and I'd really have to be wanting to help someone out to pay $100. I've also heard it's better quality than the Rossi's so I'd hate to see what a Rossi was like.

The NEF's seem to have issues with coming open after you shoot it. Then a lot of guys claim theirs aren't that accurate from what I've read.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Spike

i run from anything rossi i think you would be better off to buy an omega or if you want the switch barrel capability save for a bare bones encore and be happy the first time and if you do have a problem then tc will take care of it. my friend sent a rossi .410/ 22 combo back 5 months ago and still no tellin when it will come back their customer service is a joke if its always like that
Old 01-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by WM Greening
boy you got a lot of EMPTY answers ...that being said let me set the record straight ..don't compare a ROSSI with a T/C that would not be fair ..not the same quality or price ..i had a ROSSI muzzleloader and shot 2 deer with it they both dropped in they're tracks ..the ROSSI is a short barrel MLer good for up to 100yds. which is good enough for most of us ..the best bullet that MY rossi liked was the HORNADY SST 250 GR..i sold my ROSSI to my kid brother and he still hunts with it ,if u take good care of it it will last you a long time ,oil the outside barrel well they're not rust proof ..i never had a miss-fire i keep my barrel clean and dry .

Last edited by heinz57; 01-11-2010 at 01:57 PM.