Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Benelli SuperNova Vs. Remington 870 Express >

Benelli SuperNova Vs. Remington 870 Express

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Benelli SuperNova Vs. Remington 870 Express

Old 12-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Spike

Question Benelli SuperNova Vs. Remington 870 Express

So I've been looking at getting a new shotgun, and i have it narrowed down this to the Bennelli Supernova 12 Gauge and a Remington 870 Express Both New. Both in camouflage, mostly because i don't want to worry about the barrel, so i have been trying to read reviews about them but i an unable to find a realistic one. Here's the breakdown I turkey hunt, Clay Pigeon hunt, and shoot stuff in general. I could care less if its American made, not because i don't like America, in fact i plan on joining up to join the marine corps in 2011. Never the less i just want an apples to apples comparison between the two. If you could help me out i would really appreciate it. Thanks. And i apologize for the length.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Choose by feel. They'll both work fine.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look at the History of the 870. It speaks for itself. They can say all they want about Benelli (not saying it isn't a good gun) but you cannot beat an 870 for a pump shotgun. I learned a long time ago just because something became a fad didn't mean it was because it was the best. Once again look at the history of the 870 and see if you can find anything that will match that.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:03 PM
JW
Super Moderator

The 870's where a good gun......when the parts where machined and not stamped metal......now the quality has gone way down hill.....

I own several 870's but find the Benelli more bang for the buck........

JW

Last edited by JW; 12-08-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

870 Wingmaster... yes. 870 Express... NO! The Express, and in particular the Express supermag, are not your grandfathers 870. They are cheaply made. I've owned two 870 Express', one 3" and one 3.5", and both were rough cycling. The Supermag (3.5") would not always lock up unless you slammed the slide forward with a lot of force. The Wingmasters still appear to be pretty good shotguns, but they cost quite a lot more. Of those two I'd pick the Benelli, but I'd suggest that you look at the Browning BPS. IMO, they are THE best pump shotguns made today. I still regret having to sell mine, and someday, if the mood strikes me for another pump shotgun, it'll be a BPS.

Mike
Old 12-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

if you want an 870 get a wingmaster they are very nice guns
the benelli supernova is also a nice gun the supernova has a 3.5 chamber thats nice for turkeys
Old 12-11-2009, 02:42 AM
Typical Buck

I got my 870 express combo 16 years ago when I was 12. Its not a pretty gun. My stepbrother at the time stole it about a month after I got and left it out on the back of our farm for two months. I was in the hospital so I didn't know about it but when I found it, it was in pretty bad shape. Put some oil in her, and bought a new stock and she's good. Never had it jam up on me and is actually tricked out now to be a home defence shotgun. My suggestion, buy the 870. Express or wingmaster, they're just great guns.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

First off, let me say that I am a huge Remington fan and it's all I shoot for the most part.

With that said, I would go with the Supernova. If it was an older Remington, i would say go for it. The QC for Remington has been awful in recent years and the express's have had alot of issues. If you can get your hands on a Wingmaster, i would get one in a heartbeat. I have one made in '72 and it is the smoothest shotgun i have ever handled. Good luck!
Old 12-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well theres over 10 million 870's out there...
Old 12-18-2009, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

My son has an 870 Express and I have a Benelli Super Nova...I don't think that it is a fair comparison to the Express version of the 870, but that is the question...so in my opinion the Super Nova is a better firearm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.