Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
New deer rifle for my 8 year old? >

New deer rifle for my 8 year old?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

New deer rifle for my 8 year old?

Old 11-26-2009, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah i never got out of 1st grade, so my spellin iz bad...my maf...not so much...i havnt the need to explain it to ya. good day
Old 11-26-2009, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

btw shot a doe today, went 50 yards..and a spike buck dropped in his tracks...all with a rossi 223..never misfired ever..gun maintance? mafmafmafizizizbadbadbad
Old 11-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Savage model 11 FYCAK. Great rifle. Accurate, youth model with adjustable muzzle brake and detachable box magazine. I got one for my grandson and it regularly shoots 1/2" groups and ocassionally 1/4" groups. It comes in .243 but I opted for the 7-08 just because I alreay had one and have all the reloading equipment for it.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
You telling me you get 4200fps out of a 55 gr or 60 gr bullet out of the .22-250
cause were talking deer and hogs here. Not foxes

I would stay away from the Rossi, the H&R or NEF would be much better.
We used a Rossi the other day and it failed to fire 7 out of 20 rounds and sprayed a pattern.
I used one a year back and it shot good. Seems like a hit and miss with it.

no it was 40 grain V-max
Old 12-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

My 8 year old son hunted with my Savage 116 in .270 Winchester with the Remington Managed Recoil loads this year...

I broke him in slowly at the range starting him with a .22LR and 4 inch balloons...after "calling" his balloon color and breaking it from 25 yards I moved him to 50 yards...when he cleaned the rack of balloons at 50 yards...I switched him to the .270...

I will admit that it drew looks at the range...in fact everyone stopped and watched him happily call out the colors and mow down the next set of balloons...

The managed recoil .270 loads have no more recoil that the .243 and hit harder through 200 yards (though I limit my son to 50 yards for now)...as he gets older and can handle more recoil, I will move him up to the full power 130 grain loads...

Though I am considering getting him a Ruger M77 Compact in .308 and managed recoil loads for it...
Old 12-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Teach Deer, it sounds like you have done an excellent job of getting your son started down the right path to gun safety and management. Shooting paper targets is one thing, but put something in front of a person that actually has a reaction when shot and it just seems to be much easier to focus. I know it works that way for my son, and even myself. There was an article in Rifle magazine, and another in Handloader on reduced recoil loads in larger calibers being better out to given distances than full power loads on smaller calibers. It makes sense, being the larger caliber has more frontal area and therefor more shock value.