Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Anybody own a Henry U.S. Survival Rifle? >

Anybody own a Henry U.S. Survival Rifle?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Anybody own a Henry U.S. Survival Rifle?

Old 10-15-2009, 02:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anybody own a Henry U.S. Survival Rifle?

I'm looking for info on this rifle, preferably from someone who owns one. It was recommended to me from a guy who packs one on his ATV.....and that is what I would do with one. They run around $200 now and don't want to spend the money if they are junk. Anybody have any experience with one?

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfm

Anybody own a Henry U.S. Survival Rifle?-henry-survival-rifle.jpg
Old 10-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Spike

I dont own one but I thought about buying one as well. I few people I know have/ had one and they were not all that accurate... per them.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:06 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

i've had one for a few years now and have put a about 150 rnds. thru it.while it's accuracy is acceptable for this type of gun it's not a tack driver by any means mostly due to it's VERY HEAVY trigger.i do like it tho for it's easy to pack and very light,easily better than no gun at all.....karl
Old 10-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Fork Horn

That gun has been made by a number of manufacturers over the last thirty or so years. It was originally called the AR7 and was made by Armalite (IIRC) and then by Charter Arms still as the AR7. There may have been more. I bought the Charter Arms version back in the 1970's. It was as already described. I found it handy, reliable and acceptably accurate. My son has it now on his boat in California.
There used to be, and maybe still are any number of aftermarket doodads for AR7 - extended magazines, different stocks, scopes, etc.
FWIW - though they are not available now, for my money the Springfield Armory M6 Scout survival rifle was a better buy (they can still be found if you look a bit, though prices are probably high.). Springfield has had them in and out of production a number of times, so they may yet show again. (all steel, O/U, .22LR or .22 Hornet and .410 shotgun. Ammo can be stored in a magazine in the butt stock.)
Pete
Old 10-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know about the gun that you are asking, but the M6 scout was worth the couple hundred bucks that I paid for it a few years ago. 22lr over 410 and the 22 was pretty accurate. It was a great camping gun and even for when we would go up for firewood. I shot a couple of grouse with it, one with the 22 and one with #4 shot from the 410.