Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Springfield M1A

Old 09-29-2009, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default Springfield M1A

I am thinking about getting a Springfield National Match M1A rifle, and I would like to know has any one shot this rifle and what do you think of it?
Old 09-30-2009, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

In what regard?

I've had one for years. Back when I could see well, I simply used iron sights. Now it wears glass and a very expensive ($340) scope base and rings ($120). Cheaper can be had, but they shoot like you'd expect.

Too heavy to hunt with, though that was never what I intended to do with it. I play with it on the KD range.

Good magazines are expensive. Again, there are cheaper magazines available. I made the mistake of buying two different versions of cheep magazine and both have feeding problems. Stick with the $50+ GI/Springfield Armory magazines.

Otherwise....

Very reliable, very accurate (mine's got a match barrel, trigger, and sights - obviously the sights don't make a difference anymore).
Old 09-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Outstanding rifle! Top shelf all the way. Both the match and super match are sniper grade out of the box.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

there is a very good reason for the m1a to be the top demanded rifle among nato countries. although people give them a bad rap for accuracy, i think this is due to snipers/designated marksmen comparing them to remmy 700s. i havent tried any of the super match models but ive had alot of fun playing around with the soccom models, which i think is dang near the perfect whitetaill deer rifle in warm weather.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Spike

Great rifle,
A friend has one , he sent it to Springfield for the scope mount base installation.
Great shooter , not a hunting rifle of course but again great shooter.

I liked it so much I ordered one some 7 months ago and counting.
I contacted the company inquiring about the delay and was told they are backed up due to demand.Supposedly they're running 3 shifts 24/7 due to the greatest gun sales man of all time.

The model I ordered is the 9222 , but I occasionaly run into a Socom or a standard variant at gun shops or gun shows.
Good with your decision.

Last edited by robert4570; 10-03-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a National match .You don't want to be on the other end of that boy for any reason.Up to a thousand meters of course.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by robert4570
Great rifle,

Great shooter, not a hunting rifle of course but again great shooter.

Just curious... Why not?
Old 10-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Thank for all the impute Like I said I am looking at the National Match
But I may go on and up for the Super match.
Like I said I am sorry I did not get back before now FLU
Old 10-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

You are looking at a heavy weight rifle without the scope and mag. Some states have a round rule, some 5 or 10 ronds in the mag. As for a shooting rifle i carried one in the miltary. I shot out to 1100 meter all day long.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ipscshooter
Just curious... Why not?
I think that he meant to imply that it isn't the best rifle you could use to hunt with. My Supermatch will kill the bullseye out to 600 yards, but with it weighing almost 15 pounds, I wouldn't think of using it for hunting.