Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

700 SPS Tactical

Old 09-29-2009, 04:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default 700 SPS Tactical

After a lengthy internalizing debate I decided on a 700 SPS Tactical for a new varmint rifle and a good custom rifle build base.

Specs. Remington SPS Tactical

20" tube, 1:9 twist .820 @ muzzle
XMark Pro trigger (fully adjustable - kinda)
Houge pillar bedded overmold stock.
Chambered for 223 Remington.

Before I even test fired it I disassembled it completely for inspection. Some of what I found and did to improve upon it. (I cannot leave anything alone)

Stock sucks in out of box form (though at least 10X the stock of the SPS Varmint). Free floated barrel, as with reviews I've read, becomes un-free floated when you put pressure on the fore end such as with a bi-pod or setting on sandbags. Bedded the action, recoil lug pocket and first inch of the barrel channel. REALLY stiffened up the stock forend as quite a bit of flex was due to the recoil lug pocket being wide open whereas ahead of that there are ribs and a "keel". The keel doing the stiffening. Filling that recoil lug pocket with bedding compound has made the stock VERY usable until I can afford a B&C, H-S or McMillan. Pistol grip falls way back and really isn't comfortable. Recoil pad is lovely... Though with this much weight and 223 it doesn't matter all that much. Could actually use more weight in the stock to hold her in place.

XMark Pro trigger came set at about 4 lbs according to my uncalibrated scale. The weight adjustment set screw was protruding and with the grip of the Hogue being so far back my finger was hitting the set screw and was uncomfortable. Began by removing the set screw altogether... Result, 3 1/4 lb on my scale, pretty repeatable. Backed out the over travel screw a turn, put some CLP inside the trigger assy and it now breaks at 2 lbs consistently. The sear engagement screw is glued in there with something pretty strong. I cannot break it loose. Trigger does break like glass. Trigger shoe is smooth, I don't care for that. Only way to get it any lighter is to disassemble or modify to remove the spring under the trigger and replace with something lighter. It sits in a blind pocket and everything is riveted together.

Bolt - Rough as a gravel road out of the box and the lugs were not engaging evenly and the rail guide through the right lug is pretty rough when compared to my Mtn Rifle and one of the very first SPS's that was a donor action for a custom build. Lapped the lugs and worked the action with some watered down clover and it smoothed up fairly well. Cleaned it thoroughly and oiled the rails and it is very smooth now.

Installed a set of Leupold bases and rings and my Leupold Vari-X III 6.5 - 20 X 40 AO. Sending this tube back to Leupold this winter for either a varmint or TMR reticle and some turrets.

Put 20 rounds of Remington 55 gr FMJ green / white box through it for break in yesterday. Managed just a tad over 3/4" @ 100 yds with 5 rounds off of the bags. Need to bore scope the tube as it feels a bit "restrictive" when running a patch down it in spots. I fully expect it to be a 1/2 " gun or better with handloaded ammunition. Will follow up with some results as I get them.

For the money, not a bad weapon. Especially when the "next" step up is almost double the money.

Next steps.

Cast the chamber
blueprint the bolt and action.
evaluate the existing barrel & chamber
Add some weight to the butt of the stock and fill in voids in forearm for added mass / recoil damping.
B&C Light tactical stock (if the funds are there)
Jewell or Timney trigger... Something less than 24 oz.
Send scope back to Leupold for some work.
feed her lots of ammunition that really makes her perform.
Whack some woodchuck this fall and coyote this winter.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:41 AM
bwl
Spike

Interesting. I have the Hogue pillar bed stock on my Vanguard and have never liked how flexy the forend is. I hogged the barrel channel out until I had about 1/8" of clearance all the way around so it wouldn't touch the barrel if I was leaning against a tree or resting it in an akward position. I have wondered if using bedding compound would stiffen it up enough. I can't leave anything alone either. I ordered the Timney trigger when I ordered the stock, and it's worth every penny. Also, removing the recoil pad and filling the stock with silicon or spray foam gets rid of the hollow sound. Nice rifle !