Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

New Marlin XL7 25-06

Old 09-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Spike

Default New Marlin XL7 25-06

Last week I bought a new marlin XL7 that was chambered in 25-06. I bought a Marlin after reading several good reviews about it and its economical pricing. Got it for $280.00 bare, I put a bushnell trophy series on it. I sighted it in with some factory SST rounds and to get a few pieces of bass for it to hand load up.

The fit and finish was better than I expected and the black synthetic stock is very functional in design and layout. The bolt cycled without complication and locked up very securely. The trigger was factory set and I am guessing somewhere around 4 lbs. It breaks clean and the butt pad really absorbs quite a bit of the shock. Very comfortable to shoulder it up. The factory ammo grouped ok for functional use but the hand loads I will work up should really tighten this weapon up. The barrel is crowned and heats up quickly after 4 rounds. The weapon feels good and handles quickly.

The main draw back is the savage style box mag with low rings it loads slow putting shells in it. Not really a big deal. For the $400 I have in it including weapon, scope, and leather sling, I think its a keeper.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

How were the groups with factory ammo? I have been considering trading my Savage 111 .30-06 for a .243 for my wife. (The .30-06 kicks too much for her, but she'll shoot a .22-250 all day, so I figure she shouldn't have too much problem with a 243). Is the trigger adjustable?

Mike
Old 09-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by driftrider
How were the groups with factory ammo? I have been considering trading my Savage 111 .30-06 for a .243 for my wife. (The .30-06 kicks too much for her, but she'll shoot a .22-250 all day, so I figure she shouldn't have too much problem with a 243). Is the trigger adjustable?

Mike
The groupings were ok, realistically 1.5", the barrel was hot after the first few rounds so that hurt it but 1.5" groups is ok for factory ammo in a non-broke in gun. It needs more rounds through it before I actually truly shoot for max bullet on target effect. The hand loads will really make a difference I am sure, they always do. I have quite a few 25cal components so it should be a smooth issue to work up. Mainly going to work up Noslers as I really like them in my other 25-06 and have had great success with them on game. I think Federal tops their rounds with Noslers but they are pricey.

The trigger is adjustable but I will not play with it too much untill I get a base round work up then fine tune the weapon. Its fairly light weight also.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Spike

I have seen nothing but positive reviews for these rifles. i am planning to order one in 243 as soon as the funds are available. Looking for something for my first foray into coyote hunting, as well as for deer if I have the opportunity. These rifles have really stacked up well versus the Stevens 200 in comparisons I have read.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

I have read multiple threads comparing the Stevens 200 to the Marlin XL7. I own a XL7 in 25-06 and have no regrets for a $298 rifle. I have less than 1" groups going now with dialed in reloads.

2 XL7 attributes stand out over the Stevens 200. The Marlin part tolerances in general seem to be a bit tighter and the trigger is adjustable. The trigger on the Stevens 200 is gross. You put these guns side by side and I would put my money on the Marlin for the trigger aspect alone.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

Just like the above, the Marlin is a nice solid rifle for under $300. Just took a Leupold Mark 4 off of it for a new 308 Win project I am working with and replaced it with a Nikon Monarch and also decided to do a new paint scheme on the my XL7 today.
Here she is .....

Old 09-18-2009, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

Thats a really nice paint job.
I've never been able to get detail like that to look good.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by popeye2
Thats a really nice paint job.
I've never been able to get detail like that to look good.
Popeye, It's really simple to do,using Krylon spray paint the stock tan with a few green stripes and small black areas for shadow effect then go back and apply green , tan and black with a sea sponge. I use a course AC filter too to get the "blob" effect.

Here is a close up so you can see the detail............

Old 09-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

That really is one of the better camo paint jobs that I have seen. Most just look cheap but yours looks very well done. Thanks for the sea sponge tip.