Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
Ruger 77/44? need opinion >

Ruger 77/44? need opinion

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Ruger 77/44? need opinion

Old 08-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Spike

Default Ruger 77/44? need opinion

Hey ya'll. Im new here and im sure this has been posted before but what is your opinion of the Ruger 77/44? I was reading a magazine last night and they said that ruger is making the 77/44 again. I would love to have one of these to hunt in an area around my hometown that only allows straight walled pistol cartridges, shotguns, and muzzleloaders. I work at a sporting goods store so i could probably get one in for a decent price. Just looking to buy another gun and this one looks not only fun to shoot, but also an awesome truck gun, and hunting rifle.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 77/44

That is a great rifle. Not necessarily the most accurate. However the 44 magnum is not necessarily known as a cartridge for accuracy. It makes a great truck gun because you can remove the magazine, and the Ruger magazine system is a very good magazine.

The cartridge choice is great. If you cast your own bullets you should easily be able to reload 1,000 rounds for about $100, so practice would be cheap.

I personally believe the 44 magnum is a great deer round to 200 yards or slightly even longer. A lot of people do not think so, however I do. With any expansion at all you are looking at a 1/2" hole. Just shoot a heavy lead bullet with a large meplat. Tom.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard just the opposite as far as accuracy/.44's in general goes and am certain 77's are quite accurate.As much as I like Ruger bolts (have two 7mm's) I think under those circumstances I would go with their semi auto .44 carbine.You wont gain anything from the longer barrel on the 77 with that cartridge.On the other hand the light weight quick handling would be a definite plus in cover.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

That would be a great gun for what you are looking for. The 44 can be plenty accurate. They are simply a blast to shoot through a rifle, with very little felt recoil and yet they pack a very nice punch. Shooting targets on plywood the 44 makes a nice thwack sound when it hits.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Typical Buck

I own one and wouldn't part with it. Excellent accuracy, lite, little recoil, puts em down for good. Need I say more? I let the grandkids use it for deer hunting as their first gun. The 77/44 is an exc. truck rifle as others have said. Buy it-you'll never regret it!!!!

Last edited by mr.mc54; 08-26-2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Spike

Default Ruger K77/44-RSP .44 Mag.

I have the 77/44 and it is an awesome brush gun. I hunt in western Oregon where brush is thick. The heavy rounds and short profile makes it my new favorite for deer, black bear, cougar and smaller game. I have a 30.06 that has not been used for anything but elk since I got the 44. I also carry a Redhawk 44mag. and I really appreciate only needing one ammunition for both rifle and pistol. I always wanted one of the carbines, but trying to find one in good condition proved impossible. I have been completely satisfied with the Ruger K77/44-RSP .44 Mag.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have this rifle with the camo stock. Nice little rifle to shoot. Haven’t used it for hunting but fun to shoot with iron sights. Rounds cycle very well. Looking forward to get a scope for this rifle...
Old 01-15-2012, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

I'm sure the Ruger is a nice rifle,,, this is three shots @ 100 yards with my camo stocked H&R Handi rifle measuring .75" with the Winchester 240 grain white box ammo. You could buy the Handi and have plenty of $ left over to buy a couple of ladder stands!!