Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Mini 14...I was wrong!

Old 07-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
Ive seen 7615s on gunbroker for 450$ but theyre usually about 550$ . RRA and bushmasters go about 850$-1000$. Ive looked into building one from parts, but when I add it all up it doesnt seem to save much ,if anything.

Ive seen DPMS rifles go for as low as 670$ new, but Ive read mixed reviews, although most people who say they own them, say theyre great ,and im wondering if it wouldnt be just fine for my needs ,which are just varmint hunting and plinking. Anyone own a dpms?
i have one ,shoots very good
Old 07-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want a .223 varminter in other than a bolt gun, I'll second that you're relatively limited (in terms of effectiveness) to an AR.

I've no experience with the 7615, but do know a number of guys who run their older cousins in the deer woods and, while accurate enough on deer, aren't suitable on varmints other than coyotes and larger at more than 300 yards.

Maintenance-wise, the AR is far more forgiving today than the early Vietnam-era pieces that the line can't ever seem to shake the stigma of. I'll clean the bore on mine fairly frequently, but truthfully I think I clean the magazines more often than I disassemble the bolt carrier.

Ammunition can be a factor as well. Since discovering that my ARs don't like the same loads my CZ527 and XP-100 bolt guns like, I've had to develop separate loads between the bolt guns and the autos.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:19 PM

All of you people that are talking about how bad the accuracy of a mini 14 is, why not use two or three different types of quality match ammunition, a good scope and two or three well-known Good shooters and see what you come up with. The guys at gun blast used good stuff and got much better results.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:01 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by 44minimum
All of you people that are talking about how bad the accuracy of a mini 14 is, why not use two or three different types of quality match ammunition, a good scope and two or three well-known Good shooters and see what you come up with. The guys at gun blast used good stuff and got much better results.
You come up with crap. Most of us on here reload and can get most guns to shoot. That gun is crap man.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 dpms bull barrel and both have proved 100% reliable. The 1 I've set up for "long range" yote gun will consistantly get 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I can recommend dpms rifles. They do need some trigger work, etc for optimum results out of box.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just sold my mini on GB for 25$ more than I paid for it new, 5 years ago(thanks obama)
I can buy a dpms or a olympic AR,shipped, for 175$ more than I got for the mini ,and should probably get better accuracy w/ the bullets loaded in backwards. Makes more sense than trying a dozen different loads in the mini, hopelessly trying to get groups anywhere near 2". Last range session I used 3 differnt types of ammo ,and my own hand loads ,and groups were all over the place. The mini was a reliable rifle that never jammed ,and could put a bunch of bullets in a paper plate, at 50 paces, but big deal,so will a shotgun. I really want a 223 for yotes, chucks and smaller targets out past 100 yds. Mini just wasnt gonna cut it. I bet these rifles would shoot much bettr, if they just bedded them better ,instead of reyling on the trigger group to hold the rifle together.

I think Im gonna go w/ a dpms sportical or go w/ a parts gun ,if I can find RRA upper, and the right combo of parts at the right price. Thanks for all the dpms reviews, helps
Old 08-02-2009, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kelbro
I cleaned my RRA about 3000 rounds ago. I guess that I will clean it again when the accuracy starts to fall off.

It's generally a myth that ARs have to be cleaned constantly to shoot well. Most of the time it's a problem with keeping the BCG too dry. Shoot her wet and she'll do you right!

As for the mini. I've never had a problem getting better than 4 inch groups at 100 yards. Probably in the 2 or 2.5 range. In regards to that rifle, there are simply two groups of people. Those who swear by them, and those who swear against them. I happen to like them. I can tell you that I think they are better than they used to be. After ten years of not shooting one, I swear they shoot better now. They even feel better. Fit and Finish wise. I think Ruger tried to make them a little better, but I wouldn't call it a tack shooter either. I would call it one of the more reliable shooters though.

To each his own.

And DPMS would be considered mid grade I would say. Can't say I've ever heard anything bad about them. Don't ask the high end crowd though..
Old 08-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I figure Bill Ruger still owes me for the POS Mini14 I bought. Handloading 37 years I can probably come up with an accurate load of some kind for just about anything. The Mini I had shot like a spray can of paint........it wouldn't matter who loaded what for it.